Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:26 PM

Tranmere picked up three points and scored three goals as they beat Accrington Stanley 3-0 at Prenton Park. Rory Donnelly and Shamir Fenelon gave Rovers a 2-0 lead at the break before Donnelly notched his second of the game to make the game safe in the second period.
Rovers manager Micky Adams made four changes to the side which drew 0-0 at Morecambe last time out. New signings Rob Taylor and Lee Molyneux both came in for their Tranmere debuts while Kayode Odejayi and Rory Donnelly both started. Max Power missed out through illness.
Before the game had got going, Tranmere were forced into an early substitution with Marc Laird replaced by Jason Koumas after just eight minutes following a knock to the head for the Scottish midfielder.
The first shot of the game produced a goal with Rovers opening the scoring on 12 minutes. Shamir Fenelon sent in a low cross from the right which Rory Donnelly converted 10 yards out, sliding the ball across the face of the goal and into the far corner for his first goal in a Tranmere shirt.
Donnelly had a chance for a second goal four minutes later after Fenelon forced an error from Accrington defender Rob Atkinson but his shot looped over the crossbar, while at the other end Seamus McCarten and Sean Maguire shot from distance without troubling Owain Fon Williams.
Rovers doubled their advantage on 22 minutes. Debutant Rob Taylor burst down the left and his cross was deflected by Accrington defender Dean Winnard into the path of Fenelon who instinctively struck past goalkeeper Matt Macey.
Accrington looked to get a goal back before the break and McCarten and Seamus Conneely both tried their luck from 25 yards but fired wide while, in between those two efforts, Maguire was played through on goal but Fon Williams managed to block his shot with his legs as Tranmere maintained their two-goal lead in at the interval.
Six minutes after the restart, Kayode Odejayi won the ball on the halfway line and burst down the right and his low cross was cleared by an Accrington defender narrowly wide of his own goal.
Tranmere made it 3-0 on 57 minutes and Donnelly netted his second of the game. Odejayi held the ball up before playing in the on-loan Swansea forward on the left edge of the penalty area and he cut in and curled the ball past Macey.
Stanley had a great chance to pull a goal back a couple of minutes later when a ball into the penalty area by Winnard found Kal Naismith whose close-range effort was blocked by Fon Williams.
Rovers made their second change of the afternoon on 75 minutes with Jake Kirby being introduced in place of Donnelly before Naismith fired a powerful shot over the crossbar from 20 yards for Accrington.
On 83 minutes, a right wing cross by Fenelon narrowly evaded Odejayi but fell into the path of Danny Holmes 12 yards out whose powerful shot was saved by Macey before the rebound was sent just wide by Kirby.
Accrington came inches away from getting a goal back two minutes later when a 20 yard shot from McCarten hit the inside of the post before the Tranmere defence cleared.
As the clock ticked towards full time, Koumas played a slide-rule pass to Kirby whose shot from the left edge of the penalty area was saved by Macey low down to his left.
Stanley had another chance for a consolation goal in additional time when Fon Williams made a great save to deny Accrington substitute James Gray as Rovers secured all three points.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Ihiekwe, Thompson, Taylor, Laird (Koumas 9), Jennings, Molyneux, Fenelon (Duggan 87), Odejayi, Rory Donnelly (Kirby 76). Substitutes: Brezovan, Ridehalgh, Jago, Stockton.

Accrington Stanley: Macey, Joyce, Aldred, Winnard, McCarten, Naismith (Gray 78), Mingoia (Windass 68), McGuire, Procter (Barry 78), Atkinson, Conneely. Substitutes: Liddle, Carver, Hunt, Dawber.

Referee: Gary Sutton

Yellow cards: Aldred (27)

    Latest Match Reports