Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:26 PM

Tranmere picked up a point from a 1-1 draw against Hartlepool United at Prenton Park. An 11th minute opener from Kayode Odejayi was soon cancelled out by Scott Fenwick's equaliser for Pools a couple of minutes later.
Rovers manager Micky Adams made just one change to the side which began last weekend's 3-0 win over Accrington Stanley with Max Power returning for illness to take the place of Marc Laird who was named on the bench. New loan signing Jennison Myrie-Williams was also named among the substitutes.
Hartlepool sprung the first attack of the game straight from the kick-off with the ball being picked up by Michael Woods whose shot from 25 yards deflected into the hands of Owain Fon Williams.
Fon Williams had to be at his best on four minutes as Woods again tried his luck from distance, his powerful drive being tipped over the crossbar by the Tranmere goalkeeper, while he saved another effort, this time from Rakish Bingham, on nine minutes.
But it was Tranmere who took the lead on 11 minutes. Max Power laid the ball off to Rory Donnelly on the left and the on-loan Swansea forward sent a high ball to the back post and Kayode Odejayi leapt and hit a side-footed volley into the bottom corner of the net.
Hartlepool levelled two minutes later. Woods again forced the best out of Fon Williams who made a flying save low to his left but the ball rebounded to Scott Fenwick who slammed the ball into the roof of the net from close-range.
On 26 minutes, Rovers were awarded a free-kick 30 yards from goal following a foul on Donnelly. Lee Molyneux stepped up but his effort flew narrowly over the crossbar.
On 43 minutes, Hartlepool broke forward and Woods played the ball to the right to Jonathan Franks whose shot was blocked for a corner by Josh Thompson with the resultant set piece headed over by Dan Jones in the final act of the opening 45 minutes.
It was a slow start to the second half with Hartlepool goalscorer Fenwick taking a knock to the shoulder which required long treatment before he was replaced by Marlon Harewood.
On the hour mark, Donnelly put in a dangerous cross which was headed out for a corner by a Hartlepool defender and from the resultant flag kick, Molyneux's delivery was met by Thompson in the six yard box but he headed over the bar.
Tranmere then made a double substitution with Jason Koumas and Jennison Myrie-Williams introduced into the action in the places of Molyneux and Shamir Fenelon.
Hartlepool went close on 65 minutes. A corner from the right was half cleared and it fell to Woods on the edge of the box who drilled a low shot just wide of the target.
On 77 minutes, Pools had another chance. Michael Ihiekwe slipped inside the penalty area and Franks capitalised and laid the ball in to Bingham whose effort was blocked by the feet of Fon Williams.
Rovers attacked at the other end and Donnelly did well to beat a couple of challenges but his 20 yard shot was comfortably saved by Flinders before Cole Stockton replaced Odejayi in Tranmere's final change of the game.
For Tranmere, Max Power hit a volley from 25 yards which flew narrowly wide of the goal on 86 minutes while for Hartlepool, Franks and Woods both fired shots inches past the post in injury time with both sides having to settle with a point apiece.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Thompson, Ihiekwe, Taylor, Power, Jennings, Molyneux (Koumas 62), Fenelon (Myrie-Williams 62), Odejayi (Stockton 79), Rory Donnelly. Substitutes: Brezovan, Ridehalgh, Laird, Kirby.

Hartlepool: Flinders, Austin, Bates, Franks, Woods, Fenwick (Harewood 51), Jones, Duckworth, Harrison, Bingham, Tshibola. Substitutes: Holden, Walker, Compton, Maxted, Featherstone, Hawkins.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham

Yellow cards: Fenelon (42)

    Latest Match Reports