Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:27 PM

Goals from Jennison Myrie-Williams and Rory Donnelly earned Tranmere a 2-1 away win over Exeter City.
The pair scored either side of an Alex Nicholls free kick as Rovers left St James Park with three important points.
Micky Adams made two changes to the side that started against Hartlepool, with Adam Dugdale and Jennison Myrie-Williams coming in for Michael Ihiekwe and Shamir Fenelon. With international clearance not coming through for Iain Hume the striker was left out of the squad.
Rovers had a good chance to take the lead in the third minute. A high ball from Owain Fon Williams went over the Exeter defence and into the path of Kayode Odejayi. His attempt to knock the ball past Christy Pym was saved by the keeper but the ball fell straight into the bath of Lee Molyneux, however he couldn't keep his footing and the home side cleared.
Adams was forced into a change on six minutes. Danny Holmes collided with Alex Nicholls when jumping for a high ball and, after a long spell of treatment, had to be helped from the pitch and was replaced by Liam Ridehalgh, with Rob Taylor moving from left to right back.
Fon Williams comfortably saved from Nicholls on 12 minutes while a right wing cross from Myrie-Williams was cleared from the path of Molyneux by Danny Butterfield soon after.
Despite Exeter enjoying the majority of the early possession, Rovers took the lead on 29 minutes. Odejayi did well to win a long ball down the left wing from Ridehalgh and hold off a defender. Molyneux picked up possession and raced down the left wing and his deep cross was met by Myrie-Williams at the back post, with his header somehow sneaking past the keeper, along the goal line and in off the left hand post.
However, the lead was gone within eight minutes, as Nicholls curled a low free kick past Fon Williams and into the bottom right corner from 20 yards.
Max Power flashed a long range shot past the right hand post from 25 yards on 38 minutes, while Molyneux fired over the bar from a similar distance.
Six minutes into the second half Tranmere went back ahead. More good play from Odejayi saw the striker find Rory Donnelly and he fired across Pym and into the right corner of the goal.
Donnelly and Taylor both missed chances from outside the area as Rovers looked to extend their lead and there was a golden chance to do so on 56 minutes. A foul on Myrie-Williams as he cut into the area gave Tranmere a penalty but Power's attempt at chipping the ball straight down the middle was easily caught by the keeper.
Molyneux shot over from distance on 57 minutes while Nicholls volleyed wide at the other end.
Power looked to have beaten Pym with a right foot shot on 62 minutes but Aaron Davies was well positioned to clear inside the six yard box.
Substitute Shamir Fenelon volleyed over after being picked out by Molyneux with a left wing cross on 73 minutes
Liam Sercombe was centimetres away from equalising on 81 minutes. A corner from the left was cleared as far as the midfielder 20 yards out and he chested the ball before volleying over a crowded area and against the bar, with the ball rebounding away from goal.
Power and Donnelly both missed late chances for Rovers

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes (Ridehalgh 6), Thompson, Dugdale, Taylor, Myrie-Williams (Fenelon 64), Power, Jennings, Molyneux, Odejayi (Stockton 90), Donnelly. Substitutes: Brezovan, Laird, Kirby, Koumas.

Exeter: Pym, Ribeiro (Morrison 77), Oakley, Moore-Taylor, Woodman, Davies, Butterfield, Sercombe, Nicholls (Keohane 87), Nichols, Cummins (Wheeler 64). Substitutes: Hamon, McAllister, Tillson, Jay.

Referee: Lee Collins

Yellow cards: Thompson (8), Donnelly (78), (Sercombe 85)

    Latest Match Reports