Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:27 PM

Rory Donnelly's fourth goal for the Club deep in first half injury time helped Tranmere to a 1-1 draw at Newport on Tuesday night.
The striker put Rovers in the lead at half time but after a long spell of pressure, Newport eventually levelled ten minutes from time.
Micky Adams named an unchanged side for the third game in a row though Chris Shuker replaced the injured Cole Stockton on the substitutes' bench.
Lee Molyneux had the game's first shot, forcing Newport keeper Joe Day to turn around his left hand post with a shot from 30 yards.
Owain Fon Williams comfortably kept out an attempt from Mark Byrne on four minutes while Max Porter fired wide of the Rovers goal from the edge of the area after good work from Miles Storey.
At the other end Max Power linked well with Molyneux soon after before seeing his angled shot blocked by a defender and Kayode Odejayi met a Power free kick on 12 minutes but could only flick the ball away from goal.
Play was delayed for more than seven minutes midway through the half after Newport's Lee Minshull picked up what appeared to be a head injury at a corner. After a long spell of treatment the midfielder was eventually carried off on a stretcher and replaced by Yan Klukowski.
Adam Dugdale's close range effort was blocked following a goalmouth scramble but in the seventh minute of added time the breakthrough came. A foul on Odejayi gave Rovers a free kick just inside the Newport half and quick thinking from Danny Holmes saw the full back play the ball to Jennison Myrie-Williams whose low cross through the six yard box was turned in by Rory Donnelly at the back post.
The hosts dominated the early stages of the second half and Fon Williams had to be alert to a number of set pieces, with the keeper punching away from goal on more than one occasion.
On 67 minutes Mark Byrne went close to an equaliser, heading against the Tranmere bar from eight yards from a left wing cross before Max Porter sent the rebound wide of the target.
Myrie-Williams cut into the Newport area on 68 minutes and went past one defender before going down under a challenge from a second, but appeals for a penalty were turned down by referee Rob Lewis.
Newport were soon back on the attack and it needed a quick reaction from Fon Williams to keep out Aaron O'Connor's well struck shot on 69 minutes.
Marc Laird and Iain Hume were introduced in place of Molyneux and Myrie-Williams on 74 minutes and the pair's first involvement was to defend a free kick from which Jeffers and Klukowski both missed the target.
The equaliser came ten minutes from time. After a scramble on the edge of the Tranmere area Byrne fired into the bottom corner beyond the outstretched hand of Fon Williams.
Hume forced a save out of Day after good work from Power on 92 minutes, the last chance of the game at either end.

Newport: Day, Jackson, Porter, Jones, Yakubu, Minshull (Klukowski 33), O'Connor (Jeffers 74), Willmott, Sandell, Storey (Howe 88), Byrne. Substitutes: Stephens, Chapman, Flynn, Poole.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes (Ridehalgh 81), Thompson, Dugdale, Taylor, Myrie-Williams (Hume 74), Power, Jennings, Molyneux (Laird 74), Donnelly, Odejayi. Substitutes: Brezovan, Koumas, Kirby, Shuker.

Referee: Rob Lewis

Yellow cards: Jennings (44)

    Latest Match Reports