Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:27 PM

Tranmere were beaten 2-0 away against York City at Bootham Crescent. A Wes Fletcher brace either side of half time was enough to ensure the three points for The Minstermen.
Tranmere manager Micky Adams made a couple of changes to the side which started at Newport County on Tuesday evening with on-loan Harrison McGahey making his debut in defence and Iain Hume making his first start since his return to the club. Josh Thompson and Lee Molyneux were named on the substitutes bench.
It was a quiet start to the game on a difficult pitch with both teams conceding possession. Rorry Donnelly went on a forward run on 16 minutes but his cross was blocked before Josh Carson broke into the penalty area at the other end only for Adam Dugdale to shepherd the ball out of play.
York took the lead on 20 minutes. A free-kick from Michael Coulson was deflected out to Bradley Halliday who fired across goal and Wes Fletcher stuck out a foot at the back post to divert the ball into the net.
The Minstermen had a chance to double their lead six minutes later but after turning sharply, Emile Sinclair fired a shot wide of goal from the edge of the penalty area.
The home side had another chance on 34 minutes with Josh Carson doing well down the left before cutting inside and seeing a low shot across goal blocked by the legs of Owain Fon Williams.
On 41 minutes, a Max Power corner from the right was met by the head of Kayode Odejayi but the striker was unable to direct his effort on target.
Fon Williams had to be alert in the final minute of additional time to tip a long-range shot from Carson round the post and from the resultant corner, Sinclair headed over the bar from six yards.
Tranmere began the second half positively but it was York who scored on 58 minutes to double their advantage as Fletcher notched his second of the game after cutting inside past Harrison McGahey and firing past Fon Williams from 18 yards.
On 63 minutes, York had a double opportunity for another goal. A throw-in from the right was worked to Carson whose attempt was blocked before Coulson's follow up was deflected into the arms of Fon Williams.
The hosts then hit the post twice in quick succession with Sinclair and then Carson being denied by the woodwork.
On 67 minutes, Micky Adams made his first personnel change with Jake Kirby coming on in place of Iain Hume before Fon Williams saved a long-range shot from Halliday.
Jason Koumas was introduced in the 69th minute replacing Odejayi with Donnelly moving into a central position up front before Lee Molyneux was brought on to replace Jennison Myrie-Williams six minutes later.
On 78 minutes, a long ball found Carson inside the penalty area but Fon Williams made an acrobatic save to deny the York midfielder.
Koumas fired a free-kick narrowly past the post on 83 minutes and Donnelly dragged a shot wide from 20 yards in the final few minutes as Rovers slip below their opponents in the league tabke.

York: Olejnik, McCoy, Coulson, Fletcher, Penn, Carson (Meikle 87), Lowe, Halliday, Benning, Sinclair, Zubar. Substitutes: Ilesanmi, McCombe, Montrose, Platt, Hirst, Ingham.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, McGahey, Dugdale, Taylor, Myrie-Williams (Molyneux 75), Power, Jennings, Hume (Kirby 66), Odejayi (Koumas 69), Donnelly. Substitutes: Brezovan, Thompson, Ridehalgh, Laird.

Referee: Richard Clark

Yellow cards: Holmes (27), Dugdale (48), Coulson (50)

    Latest Match Reports