Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:27 PM

Tranmere beat league leaders Shrewsbury Town 2-1 at Prenton Park. First half goals by Rory Donnelly and Danny Holmes gave Rovers a 2-0 lead at the break before Connor Goldson pulled one back for the visitors but despite late pressure from the away side, Rovers held on to the victory.

Tranmere manager Micky Adams named two changes from last weekend's game against York City with Josh Thompson and Marc Laird coming in for Harrison McGahey and Iain Hume who were both on the bench.

Shrewsbury named former Tranmere loan player Jermaine Grandison in their starting line-up with another Rovers connection Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro named among the substitutes.

The opening opportunity fell to the visitors with James Collins getting the better of Adam Dugdale on the left and cutting inside before firing a low effort wide across goal, while at the other end Marc Laird struck wide from 25 yards inside the first five minutes.

On 13 minutes, a right wing cross from Jennison Myrie-Williams found Kayode Odejayi at the far post but the striker couldn't control his header and it went wide of the goal.

Danny Holmes linked up with Rory Donnelly on 27 minutes with the latter bursting to the byline and sending over a cross which was narrowly too high for Odejayi at the back post.

Two minutes later, Tranmere took the lead. Max Power played in Laird who burst forward before teeing the ball up for Donnelly who slid the ball past Shrewsbury goalkeeper Jayson Leutwiler at the near post, his fifth goal since arriving on loan from Swansea City.

Tranmere made it 2-0 on 32 minutes. Holmes intercepted the ball on the edge of the Shrewsbury area and then drilled a low powerful shot past Leutwiler from 20 yards.

Rovers were a lick of paint away from a third goal on 38 minutes as Myrie-Williams cut in off the left flank only to see his shot hit the inside of the post and back across the face of the goal before cleared by the Shrewsbury defence.

Owain Fon Williams was called into action on 43 minutes as Bobby Grant fired a low shot from the edge of the area which the Welshman parried before quickly reacting to turn James Collins' effort from the rebound around the post.

In additional time at the end of the first half, Power played the ball into Odejayi inside the penalty area and the striker turned and fired a low shot which Leutwiler saved with his legs in the final action of the opening 45 minutes.

Fon Williams was called into action again in the opening ten minutes of the second half. First, he denied Grant's shot from the edge of the area before tipping a close-range effort by Scott Vernon over the bar.

Power brought a good save out of Leutwiler on 64 minutes with a free-kick 25 yards out which the Shrewsbury keeper had to tip wide at full stretch down to his left.

After a lengthy stoppage for treatment to Shrewsbury full-back Mickey Demetriou, Tyrone Barnett tested Fon Williams with a header from 12 yards which the keeper saved low to his left.

On 82 minutes, Shrewsbury pulled a goal back. A right wing corner by Grant found Connor Goldson in the six-yard box who diverted the ball into the net.

On 88 minutes, Tranmere made a substitution with Myrie-Williams being replaced by Harrison McGahey for his home debut after joining on loan from Sheffield United.

There were 11 minutes of time added on at the end of the game, and in the second of those Barnett fired a shot from 12 yards over the bar.

Shrewsbury hit the crossbar on 94 minutes as another Grant corner from the right was flicked onto the top of the woodwork before being cleared away while soon after Fon Williams saved Grant's low deflected effort as Rovers held on to take all three points.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Dugdale, Thompson, Taylor, Laird, Jennings, Power, Myrie-Williams (McGahey 88), Odejayi, Donnelly. Substitutes: Brezovan, Ridehalgh, Molyneux, Koumas, Kirby, Hume.

Shrewsbury: Leutwiler, Goldson, Collins, Grandison, Woods, Lawrence (Grant 13), Vernon, Ellis, Barnett, Clark (Akpa Akpro 65), Demetriou (Gayle 80). Substitutes: Halstead, Mandron, Vincent, Southern.

Referee: Mark Brown

Yellow cards: Fon Williams (90+5)

    Latest Match Reports