Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:28 PM

Dagenham & Redbridge picked up all three points following a 3-2 victory at Prenton Park.

A first half strike by Jamie Cureton for the Daggers was cancelled out by Danny Gardner's first goal for the Club before the break. Second half goals from Ashley Hemmings and Billy Bingham saw Dagenham into a 3-1 lead before Max Power set up a tense finish with a goal back on 87 minutes but it was not enough.

Tranmere manager Micky Adams named six changes from the side which began Tuesday night's game against Wycombe Wanderers. Janoi Donacien returned on loan from Aston Villa to start while Jason Koumas, Rob Taylor, Rory Donnelly, Jennison Myrie-Williams and Josh Thompson all moved into the starting line-up.

For the visitors, former Tranmere loanee Shamir Fenelon began up front alongside their leading goalscorer Jamie Cureton while ex-Rovers midfielder Joss Labadie was named on the bench.

The first sight of goal came on seven minutes as Tranmere counter attacked following a Dagenham corner. The ball ended with Jennison Myrie-Williams who fired a low shot narrowly wide of the goal.

The next real action was eight minutes later as Janoi Donacien played a forward ball to Jordan Hugill before getting the ball back from the on-loan Preston striker but his shot was wayward and went wide.

Dagenham's first sight of goal was from a free-kick from 30 yards which Billy Bingham fired well over the crossbar on 18 minutes.

A Jason Koumas free-kick midway through the first half landed at the feet of Josh Thompson but the central defender couldn't get a shot away and the ball was cleared.

On the half-hour mark, Dagenham striker Shamir Fenelon attempted to get a goal against his former team-mates but his shot went wide before a couple of minutes later, Jamie Cureton dragged an attempt wide from 10 yards.

Another Koumas free-kick caused problems for the Dagenham defence on 34 minutes, as his delivery from the left led to a scramble involving six players from both sides before the referee gave a free-kick to Dagenham.

Koumas was forced off with what appeared to be a hamstring injury on 39 minutes with Dan Gardner replacing him and a minute later, Dagenham took the lead as a through ball found Cureton who lobbed the on-rushing Owain Fon Williams from 18 yards.

Tranmere equalised on 43 minutes with Rory Donnelly playing in Gardner down the left. The substitute cut inside and fired a lovely curling shot past Liam O'Brien from 20 yards for his first goal in a Tranmere shirt.

Donnelly had the final chance of the half but his shot from 20 yards was saved by O'Brien as the sides went in at the interval at one apiece.

Tranmere made their second change of the afternoon at the break with Danny Holmes coming on to replace Josh Thompson with Donacien moving to centre-back alongside Adam Dugdale.

The first opportunity of the second half fell to the visitors with Fenelon breaking down the right and sending a low cross over to Cureton at the back post who fired wide from close range.

The Daggers retook the lead on 51 minutes. Ashley Hemmings cut inside from the left and curled the ball home from 20 yards with the outside of his left foot past Fon Williams.

They increased their lead two minutes later. A cross from the left was only half cleared and the ball fell to Billy Bingham who struck a low shot into the bottom corner of the net from 25 yards.

Myrie-Williams burst into the box on the hour mark but his cross was blocked and turned away for a corner which Dugdale headed wide as Rovers tried to get back into the game.

On 62 minutes, Tranmere made their final personnel change with Kayode Odejayi coming into the fray to replace Hugill.

Midway through the second half, Dagenham broke clear and the ball was threaded through to Cureton who shot over the crossbar from 18 yards.

With 20 minutes remaining, a deep cross from the left found Holmes at the back post but his low shot was blocked on its way to goal and out for a corner kick.

Gardner had an effort from 20 yards which went just wide on 79 minutes before Odejayi's header from Rob Taylor's cross was saved by O'Brien before Rovers got a goal back on 87 minutes as Max Power thumped home a powerful shot from 20 yards.

Despite some late pressure for an equaliser, Dagenham held on to take all three points.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Donacien, Dugdale, Thompson (Holmes 45 HT), Taylor, Power, Jennings, Koumas (Gardner 40), Myrie-Williams, Hugill (Odejayi 63), Donnelly. Substitutes: Ramsbottom, Ridehalgh, Laird, Hume.

Dagenham & Redbridge: O'Brien, Batt, Doe, Bingham, Cureton (Partridge 88), Fenelon (Jakubiak 67), Howell, Hemmings, Obileye, Boucaud (Labadie 87), Widdowson. Substitutes: Moore, Gayle, Jones, Partridge, Carr.

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Yellow cards: Batt (90), Obileye (90), Odejayi (90)

    Latest Match Reports