Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:28 PM

George Green struck a fantastic 94th minute debut goal to give Tranmere a share of the spoils with a 1-1 draw against AFC Wimbledon.
Green's late strike cancelled out a first half deflected goal from Adebayo Akinfenwa which had given The Dons the lead on 29 minutes.
Tranmere Manager Micky Adams made three changes from the side which started against Burton Albion last weekend.
Peter Brezovan recalled from his loan at Southport to start in goal, Steve Jennings returned after suspension while George Green made his debut after his loan move from Everton.
The first chance of the game fell Tranmere's way with a low cross from the right finding George Green whose right-footed shot was palmed clear by AFC Wimbledon goalkeeper Ross Worner.
The Dons' opening oportunity came on eight minutes following a corner from the left which was half cleared before Adebayo Akinfenwa hit a shot from the edge of the area which Janoi Donacien blocked before the Rovers defence cleared their lines.
On 14 minutes, Peter Brezovan was called into action to make his first save to deny Craig Tanner's effort from 12 yards before four minutes later, Sean Rigg tested Brezovan from 10 yards but the 'keeper was equal to it.
Rovers won a couple of corners as Green did some good work down the left but they ultimately came to nothing.
Rigg tested the Brezovan again on 27 minutes with a shot from 25 yards which he turned away for a corner.
Moments later, Wimbledon took the lead through Akinfenwa whose shot took a wicked deflection off Michael Ihiekwe and wrong-footed Brezovan and crept into the net.
Green tried his luck from 25 yards on 40 minutes but his attempt was too high and went over the crossbar.
Tranmere had a couple of chances as the first half drew to its close with Kayode Odejayi's shot blocked while Ihiekwe's cross from the right found Donacien but he couldn't find the desired connection on the ball and the Dons defence scrambled it away as they went in 1-0 up at the break.
Five minutes after the break, Rovers had a chance to get back on level terms as Green's corner from the right found Adam Dugdale at the back post but his header went just wide.
Brezovan had to be at his best on 56 minutes as Jake Reeves hit a powerful shot from 20 yards which the Tranmere goalkeeper palmed away from goal.
Green forced a save from Worner on 57 minutes as he broke down the left before Max Power his a powerful strike from 30 yards which fizzed narrowly wide of the goal.
On 64 minutes, Micky Adams made his first personnel change with Iain Hume introduced in the place of Rory Donnelly.
Hume's first action was to head Liam Ridehalgh's cross wide before Jennison Myrie-Williams burst down the right and cut the ball back but Steve Jennings slid the ball wide of the target.
On 79 minutes, Hume hit a shot from 20 yards which Worner saved comfortably down to his right.
Three minutes later it was Brezovan who had to make the save as he superbly tipped Reeves' 20 yard piledriver over the crossbar.
Four minutes into the five additional minutes at the end of the second half, Green struck a stunning 20 yard effort which flew past Worner to give Tranmere a share of the spoils.

Tranmere: Brezovan, Ihiekwe, Donacien, Dugdale, Ridehalgh (Molyneux 84), Myrie-Williams, Power, Jennings, Green, Donnelly (Hume 64), Odejayi. Substitutes: Ramsbottom, Holmes, Laird, Shuker, Kirby.

AFC Wimbledon: Worner, Fuller, Smith (Harrison 17), Moore, Goodman, Oshilaja, Beere, Reeves, Akinfenwa, Tanner (Azeez 82), Rigg (Potter 87). Substitutes: McDonnell, Phillips, Agyei, Gallagher.

Referee: Andy Woolmer

Yellow cards: Rigg (52), Donnelly (63), Akinfenwa (71), Goodman (75), Moore (89), Green (90+4), Hume (90+5)

    Latest Match Reports