Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:29 PM

Tranmere fell to a 1-0 defeat against Luton Town at Prenton Park. Cameron McGeehan's 81st minute strike was the difference between the two sides as he followed in after Peter Brezovan had saved Mark Cullen's penalty.
Micky Adams named an unchanged side to that which lined up against Stevenage on Good Friday. The only change was on the substitutes' bench with striker Cole Stockton returning from injury to take the place of Jake Kirby.
The opening opportunity of the game fell to Tranmere on four minutes. Max Power sent Jennison Myrie-Williams clear down the right hand side and the winger cut inside and tried to flick the ball over Elliot Justham in the Luton goal but the 'keeper stood tall and made the save.
The visitors had their first chance on goal on 16 minutes when a deep cross from the left was met by the head of Paul Benson whose effort was palmed wide by Peter Brezovan.
Rovers had another chance to open the scoring on 26 minutes when Rob Taylor did well to get past two defenders and he stood the ball up to the far post but Myrie-Williams didn't connect properly with the volley and the Luton defence managed to clear their lines from what was the final eventful moment of the first 45 minutes.
Tranmere were forced into a change five minutes into the second half as Power was carried off on a stretcher and Marc Laird came on in his place.
On 56 minutes, George Green hit a 25 yard free-kick which Justham saved before Micky Adams made his second change of personnel with Iain Hume entering the fray in the place of Rob Taylor.
Rovers had a Myrie-Williams free kick saved before they made their final substitution on 76 minutes with the winger replaced by Rory Donnelly.
The Hatters took the lead on 81 minutes. A penalty was awarded after Brezovan brought down Mark Cullen inside the area. Cullen stepped up from 12 yards only for Brezovan to make a fantastic save to his right but Cameron McGeehan followed it in and fired home the rebound.
On 86 minutes, Hume met Green's corner at the near post but his effort was narrowly wide before the Canadian forward had claims for a penalty waved away after going down inside the area.
Green had one final chance in stoppage time but his 20 yard shot was saved by Justham as Luton held on to take the three points.

Tranmere: Brezovan, Ihiekwe, Donacien, Dugdale, Ridehalgh, Myrie-Williams (Donnelly 76), Power (Laird 50), Jennings, Taylor (Hume 61), Green, Odejayi. Substitutes: Fon Williams, Holmes, Stockton, Molyneux.

Luton Town: Justham, Smith (Howells 90), McNulty, Benson (Stockley 82), Griffiths, Cullen, Harriman, Doyle, Hall (Lawless 74), Wilkinson, McGeehan. Substitutes: Lacey, Guttridge, Robinson, King.

Referee: Dean Whitestone

Yellow cards: McNulty (58), McGeehan (88)

    Latest Match Reports