Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:29 PM

A first half strike by Barry Corr was the difference as Southend beat Tranmere 1-0 at Roots Hall.
Tranmere manager Micky Adams made five changes to the starting eleven which played against Luton last Monday. Into the side came Owain Fon Williams, Danny Holmes, Marc Laird, Cole Stockton and Josh Thompson. George Green, Adam Dugdale and Iain Hume all missed out through illness.
Rovers had the opening chance of the game on 5 minutes. Max Power played the ball in from the right and found Kayode Odejayi in the penalty area but his shot on goal was saved by Southend goalkeeper Dan Bentley.
On 18 minutes, Danny Holmes sent over a deep cross which was met by the head of Cole Stockton but the striker's header was just off target.
Southend's first attempt came on 35 minutes when former Tranmere striker Jake Cassidy received the ball on the edge of the penalty box but his shot was deflected harmlessly to Owain Fon Williams.
A couple of minutes later, Holmes tried his luck from 25 yards but his low effort was turned around the post by Bentley.
The hosts opened the scoring on 38 minutes when Will Atkinson's low corner from the right was turned home at the near post by Barry Corr and The Shrimpers held that lead going in at half time.
Six minutes after the restart, Southend went looking for a second goal and Michael Timlin's deep cross from the left found Atkinson but Josh Thompson blocked the effort and Rovers cleared their lines.
They had another opportunity on 56 minutes when Atkinson's corner from the right found Adam Barrett but his header was off target.
On the hour mark, Tranmere made a double substitution with Jennison Myrie-Williams and Rory Donnelly introduced in place of Power and Thompson.
Midway through the second half, a wicked inswinging corner by Myrie-Williams had to be tipped behind by Bentley at his near post.
On 73 minutes, Rovers made their final personnel change with Jake Kirby coming on for Stockton.
Southend substitute Joe Pigott tested Fon Williams on 81 minutes when he brought the ball down and shot from the edge of the penalty area but the goalkeeper made the save.
With four minutes remaining, Myrie-Williams pulled the ball back to Donnelly who fired over the crossbar from 18 yards.
Marc Laird had a chance in the final minute of normal time when Steve Jewnnings' high ball into the area was nodded up in the air and Laird got his head to the ball but could only direct it wide.
Fon Williams came up for a late corner but nothing came of it and Southend held on to take the points.

Southend: Bentley, White, Coker, Timlin, Corr (Pigott 69), Atkinson, Bolger, Deegan, Cassidy, McLaughlin (Worrall 72), Barrett. Substitutes: Smith, Weston, Hurst, Payne, Binnom-Williams.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Thompson (Myrie-Williams 60), Donacien, Ihiekwe, Taylor, Laird, Jennings, Power (Donnelly 60), Odejayi, Stockton (Kirby 73). Substitutes: Brezovan, Ridehalgh, Kirby, Shuker, Molyneux.

Referee: Graham Horwood

Yellow cards: Jennings (42), Bolger (60), Donacien (76), Donnelly (83)

    Latest Match Reports