Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 at 05:06 AM

Tranmere picked up a point from Friday Night Football against Cambridge United at Prenton Park. Cole Stockton gave Tranmere the lead only for Cambridge defender Michael Nelson to equalise on 89 minutes and ensure the points were shared.
Tranmere manager Micky Adams made two changes to the side which defeated Oxford United in the FA Cup on Tuesday evening. Into the starting eleven came Marc Laird and Shamir Fenelon with James Rowe and Cole Stockton dropping to the bench.
The opening opportunity of the game went to Tranmere on three minutes. A long ball by Janoi Donacien found Shamir Fenelon who tried an audacious lob but it was off target from the right edge of the penalty area.
The visitors had their first chance on goal on 10 minutes. A corner from the right was swung in by Liam Hughes and it found Robbie Simpson at the far post but the striker directed his header wide of the goal.
Liam Ridehalgh hit a free-kick from the right edge of the penalty area on 19 minutes which almost caught the goalkeeper out but Chris Dunn managed to top the ball over the crossbar.
Just after the half-hour mark, Michael Ihiekwe went down after a challenge which saw him carried off and replaced by Danny Woodards.
In the fourth minute of first half added time, Cambridge had a sight of goal as Simpson tried his luck from 25 yards only for his shot to take a slight deflection and go narrowly wide in what was the final meaningful action of the opening period.
Three minutes after the break, a long ball forward by Cambridge's Tom Naylor found Kwesi Appiah on the left edge of the penalty box who fired a low shot which Owain Fon Williams saved low to his left.
At the other end, on 53 minutes, Danny Holmes swung in a deep cross from the right but Kayode Odejayi's header drifted wide of the target.
Naylor and Appiah combined again three minutes later for the visitors with the latter firing a powerful effort from the right side of the penalty area across the face of goal and wide.
On the hour-mark, Odejayi played Fenelon in on goal but Cambridge 'keeper Dunn made a save with his legs to deny the on-loan Brighton man.
Tranmere's second personnel change of the game came on 66 minutes with Cole Stockton replacing Odejayi up front.
On 69 minutes, Fenelon's cross found the head of Marc Laird but the midfielder's effort was saved by Dunn low to his right, before a minute later at the other end, Cambridge substitute Sullay Kaikai hit a powerful free-kick which Fon Williams tipped round the post.
Tranmere broke the deadlock on 74 minutes. Ridehalgh beat two men on the left before cutting inside and sending a low cross into the box which susbstitute Stockton dispatched into the bottom corner of the net.
A minute later Cambridge were reduced to 10 men with Simpson being shown a second yellow card following a challenge on Steve Jennings.
Fenelon had a chance to increase Rovers' advantage on 81 minutes. Power did well to win the ball on the halfway line before Stockton laid the ball into Fenelon's path but his shot from 20 yards was dragged wide.
That was the striker's last action of the game as he was replaced by Guy Madjo soon after in Tranmere's final substitution of the night.
Cambridge equalised in the penultimate minute of normal time. A corner from the right was driven in by Kaikai and Michael Nelson headed home from close-range.
In the final minute of four additional minutes at the end of the game, Power crossed from the left and Stockton turned but fired over the crossbar to ensure both sides gained a point.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Donacien, Holness, Ihiekwe (Woodards 36), Ridehalgh, Power, Jennings, Laird, Fenelon (Madjo 83), Odejayi (Stockton 65). Substitutes: Brezovan, Rowe, Kirby, Jahraldo-Martin.

Cambridge: Dunn, Greg Taylor, Coulson, Champion, Cunnington (Kaikai 55), Simpson, Hughes, Nelson, Appiah, Bird (Chiedozie 55 (Chadwick 90+2)), Naylor. Substitutes: Tait, Norris,  Atkinson, Bobby Joe Taylor.

Referee: Darren Handley

Yellow cards: Donacien (28), Simpson (41), Laird (63)

Red card: Simpson (76)

    Latest Match Reports