Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 at 20:17 PM

Rovers reached the Northern Section Quarter Finals of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy after beating Carlisle United 5-4 in a penalty shoot out after a 1-1 draw.
Max Power put Rovers ahead in the first half but Brad Potts levelled to take the tie to spot kicks.
Two saves from Peter Brezovan proved crucial in the shoot out and Ben Davies scored the winning penalty for the hosts.
Rob Edwards made four changes to the team that started at Bury, with Peter Brezovan replacing Owain Fon Williams who was away on international duty and Jason Koumas, Marcus Holness and Eliot Richards coming in for Marc Laird, Ben Davies and George Donnelly.
Janoi Donacien, who lined up at right back, earned Rovers an early corner with a powerful run up the wing while Billy Paynter fired high over the bar at the other end for the visitors and headed wide from a Hayden White cross soon after.
On 19 minutes a Koumas corner was headed back across goal by Kayode Odejayi and from the resulting scramble Holness had an effort blocked inside the six yard box, while Richards curled wide from a Matt Gill lay off three minutes later.
Rovers took the lead a few minutes before half time. Koumas' shot from a 30 yard free kick was parried by Dan Hanford but only as far as Max Power who shot under the keeper's body and though a Carlisle player cleared the ball from the goalmouth, the assistant referee signalled the ball had crossed the line.
Another Koumas corner wasn't cleared by the Cumbrians on 43 minutes but a defender got a block in to prevent a Holness volley causing Hanford any problems.
Carlisle started the second half brightly and after Gill blocked a couple of dangerous crosses, a long range shot from Dicker flew just past Brezovan's right hand post.
David Symington fired well wide of the target from a corner after Holness had done well to clear following a quick Carlisle counter attack.
At the opposite end Odejayi headed a Koumas cross into the path of Richards on the edge of the area and the striker controlled before seeing his left foot shot deflect off a defender and behind for a corner.
The visitors equalised on 76 minutes. A slip from substitute Jake Kirby gave possession to Brad Potts on the left and he cut into the area before firing into the roof of the net from ten yards.
Koumas forced a save from Hanford on 77 minutes with a curler from outside the area and Power shot wide from 20 yards soon after.
Rigg and Beck headed wide for Carlisle as the game went to a penalty shoot out.
0-1 Dicker
1-1 Power
1-2 Potts
2-2 Koumas
2-2 Rigg saved
3-2 Richards
3-3 Beck
4-3 Ihiekwe
4-4 Symington
4-4 Holmes missed
4-4 Brough saved
5-4 Davies

Tranmere: Brezovan, Holmes, Donacien (Davies 63), Holness, Ihiekwe, Baggie (Kirby 71), Power, Gill, Koumas, Richards, Odejayi. Substitutes: Pilling, Laird, Donnelly.

Carlisle: Hanford, Paynter (Beck 37), Dicker, Thirlwell, Gillies(Potts 68), Brough, Symington, Rigg, O'Hanlon, White, Elliott (Dempsey 68). Substitutes: Grainger, Caig.

Referee: Richard Clark

Yellow cards: White (13), Dicker (39)

    Latest Match Reports