Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 27 Oct 14 at 15:23 PM

Two goals in two minutes at the end of the first half from Max Power and Danny Johnson earned Tranmere a 2-1 away win at Bury in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy northern quarter finals.
The pair netted in quick succession as Rovers came from behind to pick up their second cup victory in four days.
Micky Adams gave starts to Peter Brezovan, Danny Holmes, James Rowe, Abdulai Baggie and Danny Johnson, with the four coming in for Owain Fon Williams, Janoi Donacien, Marc Laird, Eliot Richards and George Donnelly.
Rovers started brightly and won a corner in the fifth minute after Baggie outpaced former Tranmere loanee Jim McNulty down the right. From Max Power's cross, Josh Thompson headed across goal and wide.
Marcus Holness blocked shots from Kelvin Etuhu and Nicky Adams on 13 minutes while Danny Mayor cut in from the left and shot straight at Brezovan a minute later.
Baggie fired across goal and wide from the left side of the area following a quickly taken free kick on 19 minutes and the winger shot past the post from 25 yards six minutes later after good work from Rowe.
The home side took the lead on 35 minutes. Centre back Nathan Cameron started the attack off and continued his run into the Tranmere area where he side footed into the top left corner from an unmarked position ten yards out.
Less than ten minutes later Rovers were level. Power was brought down 25 yards from goal and the midfielder picked himself up to curl the free kick past the wall and into the bottom left corner.
And moments before half time Micky Adams' side took the lead. Steve Jennings worked his way into the box and side stepped one challenge before playing the ball to Johnson who side footed past Loach and into the net from ten yards.
Former Tranmere Joe Thompson joined the action for Bury in the second half as a replacement for Danny Rose and the winger saw his attempt at curling past Brezovan and into the top left corner saved by the keeper on 51 minutes.
Mayor tested Brezovan with a well struck effort from 25 yards on 53 minutes and Power had to track back to win the ball off Hope soon after as the striker shaped to shoot from just inside the Tranmere area.
Brezovan kept out a low strike from Mayor on 59 minutes while Jennings did well to dispossess the ex-Preston player on the edge of the area soon after as Bury pressed for an equaliser.
Adams fired just over Brezovan's goal from 20 yards after cutting in from the right wing on 69 minutes and the keeper did well to save Hope's low shot with his left foot on 75 minutes before Thompson fired into the side netting from the rebound.
A triple substitution saw Jake Kirby, Kayode Odejayi and Marc Laird replace Baggie, Johnson and Rowe with just over ten minutes remaining.
Bury kept up their pressure with Brezovan pulling off saves from Cameron at a corner and then getting down quickly to save Hope's close range effort on 85 minutes, while Rovers also survived a couple of late free kicks to hold on for the win.

Bury: Loach, McNulty, Tutte (Duffus 62), Etuhu, Adams, Rose (Thompson 45HT), Mayor, Nardiello (Hope 45HT), Soares, Cameron, Mills. Substitutes: Hussey, Lainton.

Tranmere: Brezovan, Holness, Thompson, Ihiekwe, Holmes, Power, Rowe (Laird 79), Jennings, Ridehalgh, Baggie (Kirby 79), Johnson (Odejayi 79). Substitutes: Ramsbottom, Gumbs.

Referee: Oliver Langford

    Latest Match Reports