Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 18 Dec 14 at 15:24 PM

Tranmere were knocked out of the FA Cup at the hands of Premier League side Swansea City in an eight goal thriller at Prenton Park.
Nathan Dyer opened the scoring for the Swans in the first half, before seven further strikes after the break with Tom Carroll, Mo Barrow, Wayne Routledge and a double from Bafetimbi Gomis netting for the visitors with Max Power and Cole Stockton finding the net for Rovers.
Tranmere manager Micky Adams made two changes to the side which beat Northampton Town last Sunday. Michael Ihiekwe returned from an injury lay-off to take the place of Chris Shuker while Cole Stockton replaced the injured Kayode Odejayi.
Premier League Swansea City made nine changes from their team which drew 1-1 at Queens Park Rangers on New Year's Day with only Nathan Dyer and Bafetimbi Gomis retaining their places.
The first effort of the game fell to the visitors after four minutes. Bafetimbi Gomis picked the ball up just inside the Tranmere half and drove forward but his left-footed shot from 25 yards was miscued and went wide of the goal.
On 11 minutes, Nathan Dyer got past Janoi Donacien on the left and his cross found Gomis whose header towards goal was deflected wide off a Tranmere defender.
Gomis had his third chance of the game on 20 minutes. Mo Barrow did well on the right and cut inside before laying the ball into the French international striker whose shot was tipped over the crossbar by Owain Fon Williams.
The striker was the man causing all the problems and on 31 minutes he picked the ball up inside the Rovers half before unleashing a low shot which flew inches past the post.
Swansea broke the deadlock on 34 minutes. Dyer cut inside from the left and fired home past Fon Williams at the second attempt after his first effort was blocked by Marcus Holness.
Tranmere's first opportunity on the Swansea goal came on 37 minutes. The ball was worked out to Max Power on the left edge of the penalty area and the midfielder's shot took a slight deflection before being gathered by Swans goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel.
Power was again involved two minutes later. He picked up a loose ball and drove towards goal before firing a low shot from 20 yards which Tremmel spilled before collecting the ball at the second attempt.
Swansea launched a quick counter attack on the stroke of half-time. Power's free-kick was cleared and Gomis burst down the left but Michael Ihiekwe shepherded him to the byline and blocked his cross into the box to deny an opportunity on goal as the visitors went in at the interval with a one-goal lead.
Four minutes into the second half, Swansea doubled their advantage. A misplaced pass by Steve Jennings was capitalised upon by the visitors and Tom Carroll burst into the penalty area and fired home low past Fon Williams from the right edge of the area.
On 56 minutes, Tranmere made their first substitution of the afternoon with Jake Kirby coming on in place of Josh Thompson.
Two minutes later, Swansea made it 3-0. Gomis got past Danny Holmes on the right side of the penalty area and he fired in a low cross into the six yard box which Mo Barrow side-footed home.
On the hour mark, Power sent over a cross from the right which found Cole Stockton at the near post but the striker's header drifted wide of the target.
There was a goalmouth scramble in the Swansea penalty area on 64 minutes. Stockton swivelled and shot against the inside of the post with a number of bodies trying to divert the ball over the line before it was scrambled clear.
Stockton tried his luck again on 70 minutes as he fired a shot from 20 yards which Tremmel saved. But as the goalkeeper put the ball down to clear, he was closed down by Max Power with the midfielder blocking the ball and it flew back over the keeper and into the net.
Straight after the goal, Rovers made their final personnel changes with James Rowe replacing Marc Laird and Abdulai Baggie replacing Shamir Fenelon.
Swansea restored their third goal advantage on 76 minutes. The ball was played by Marvin Emnes to Gomis on the right and he cut inside and fired in a low left-footed effort into the bottom corner from 20 yards.
The Swans had the ball in the net again five minutes later but Gomis' was ruled out for offside.
Rovers again pulled a goal back on 83 minutes. Power's deep free-kick found Marcus Holness who cushioned a header into the path of Stockton who steered the ball home from six yards.
The visitors made it 5-2 on 86 minutes. Swansea substitute Wayne Routledge found himself in space in the left-hand side of the penalty area and he fired past Fon Williams.
In the final minute of additional time, Swansea finished the goalscoring as Gomis grabbed his second of the afternoon. The striker picked the ball up inside the Tranmere half and ran towards goal, twisting and turning past Holness, before coolly slotting the ball past Fon Williams to end Tranmere's FA Cup run.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Donacien, Holness, Thompson (Kirby 56), Ihiekwe, Holmes, Power, Jennings, Laird (Rowe 71), Fenelon (Baggie 71), Stockton. Substitutes: Brezovan, Ridehalgh, Shuker, Madjo.

Swansea: Tremmel, Tiendalli, Amat, Bartley, Richards, Carroll, Fulton (King 71), Emnes, Dyer (Routledge 78), Gomis, Barrow. Substitutes: Fabianski, Shephard, Britton, Sigurdsson, Routledge.

Referee: Paul Tierney

Yellow cards: Holmes (16), Fulton (45), Power (66), Tiendalli (88)

    Latest Match Reports