Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 at 15:21 PM

Tranmere conceded three second half goals in quick succession to fall to a 3-2 defeat against Portsmouth at Fratton Park.
Goals from Jennison Myrie-Williams and Kayode Odejayi put Rovers two up early in the second half but two Ryan Taylor efforts and a header from Craig Westcarr earned the home side all three points.
Micky Adams named an unchanged team following the win over Shrewsbury though Michael Ihiekwe returned from injury to take the place of Jason Koumas on the substitutes' bench.
The home side started brightly and were almost ahead inside the first minute when Ryan Taylor rose highest following a long throw in but Marc Laird cleared his header off the line.
Owain Fon Williams pushed Josh Passley's angled shot away from goal on six minutes while Jennison Myrie-Williams had a left foot shot blocked by Jack Whatmough at the opposite end after good work by Rob Taylor down the left wing.
A cross from Myrie-Williams landed inches away from the swinging boot of Rory Donnelly near the Pompey penalty spot on 18 minutes and there was another chance a minute later. After Steve Jennings cleared a Portsmouth corner Myrie-Williams released Donnelly down the left while Marc Laird raced through the middle to give Rovers a two on one but Donnelly fired across goal and wide.
Danny Holmes broke forward down the right on 26 minutes and fired over the bar from 20 yards at the end of a long passing move and after surviving a brief spell of Portsmouth pressure Rovers were back on the attack and took the lead.
A long ball forward was controlled by Donnelly and the Swansea City loanee turned and found Myrie-Williams who found the bottom right corner with a shot across Pompey keeper Paul Jones.
Fon Williams saved from James Dunne and watched a Danny Hollands volley go past his goal on 40 minutes
Rovers doubled their advantage five minutes into the second half. Odejayi challenged Paul Jones for Danny Holmes' right wing cross and the ball took a touch off the striker, went over the keeper and towards the goal. Pompey defender Joe Devera was on the line but his attempt at clearing the ball smashed against the keeper and rebounded into the net.
With Josh Thompson temporarily off the pitch with a blood injury Tranmere were down to ten men and Pompey almost took advantage. Matt Tubbs received the ball on the edge of the area, turned into space and shot but Fon Williams dived to his right to save.
Half time substitute Liam Ridehalgh - on for Rob Taylor - blocked a shot from Tubbs on 65 minutes while Devera headed over the bar after a Hollands effort had deflected behind for a corner.
The home side pulled a goal back on 76 minutes. Tubbs found space on the right and his cross was met by the head of substitute Craig Westcarr who nodded the ball across Fon Williams and into the left side of the goal.
Six minutes later they were level. A cross from the left found Tubbs and though his shot was blocked, the ball fell to Taylor who fired low past Fon Williams.
And two minutes later the comeback was complete. After Fon Williams had tipped over Tubbs' long range effort the resulting corner was headed in by Taylor at the back post.
Rovers pressed for an equaliser late on but they were unable to create a clear chance and went home empty handed.

Portsmouth: Jones, Devera (Barcham 56), Robinson, Whatmough, Passley (Westcarr 71), Dunne, Wallace, Hollands (Chaplin 79), Butler, Tubbs, Taylor. Substitutes: Poke, Chorley, Ertl, Atangana.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Dugdale, Thompson (McGahey 70), Taylor (Ridehalgh 45HT), Power, Jennings, Laird, Myrie-Williams, Odejayi, Donnelly (Ihiekwe 81). Substitutes: Brezovan, Kirby, Molyneux, Hume.

Referee: Iain Williamson

Yellow cards: Dunne (34), Laird (35)

    Latest Match Reports