Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:52 AM

Rovers played out a 0-0 draw away at Braintree Town after a scrappy affair at the Avanti Stadium to maintain the unbeaten start to the season.
Tranmere manager Gary Brabin named an unchanged starting line-up to that which began the 4-1 midweek win over Gateshead. The only change came on the bench with James Norwood returning from injury to replace Marcus Holness among the substitutes.
The home side started the game brightly and the first opening of the game was on seven minutes as Dan Sparkes was played in but Scott Davies came out and made an excellent block.
Braintree had another good chance on 11 minutes when they broke clear following a Tranmere corner and Sim Akinola raced towards goal but fired over from 20 yards.
The Iron were in control for the opening half-hour without forcing further chances on Davies' goal with Rovers only fleetingly entering Braintree territory.
Jay Harris had Rovers first opportunity on goal on 42 minutes when he picked the ball up 25 yards out but his effort wasn't as accurate as it was against Woking and flew narrowly wide.
Tranmere had to make a change just before half time as Liam Hogan picked up a knock to his ankle and was replaced by Martin Riley for his competitive début for the Club as the opening 45 minutes ended goalless.
Rovers made a second substitution at the start of the second half with James Norwood coming on in the place of Cole Stockton.
Sam Habergham hit a speculative volley from 30 yards which flew narrowly over the crossbar a minute into the second period as Braintree again began well.
Harris had another effort from distance on 55 minutes but his right-footed effort curled just wide.
With 18 minutes remaining, Brabin made his final personnel change with Adam Mekki introduced into the action to replace Andy Mangan.
A nasty looking injury was sustained by Braintree's Matt Fry with three minutes remaining after he challenged Mekki. After lengthy treatment, Fry was stretchered off and replaced by Jeremy Walker.
Nine minutes into added time, Rovers had as good chance to take all three points as Ridehalgh's deep cross from the left found Mekki at the far post but the winger's effort was saved by Will Norris.
The last act was at the other end as Sean Marks turned and forced Scott Davies into a smart save to keep the score at 0-0 as the referee closed proceedings.

Braintree: Norris, Clerima, Habergham, Isaac (Miles 80), Paine, Fry (Walker 90), Davis, Akinola, Sparkes (Marks 62), Phillips, Woodyward. Substitutes: Maybanks, Cheek.

Tranmere: Davies, Ihiekwe, Sutton, Hogan (Riley 45), Hill, Harris, Jennings, Maynard, Ridehalgh, Mangan (Mekki 72), Stockton (Norwood 46). Substitutes: Turner, Margetts. 

Referee: Adrian Holmes

Yellow cards:

Attendance: 838

    Latest Match Reports