Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:53 AM

Tranmere fell to a narrow 2-1 defeat at Altrincham. First half goals from George Bowerman and Michael Rankine was replied to by a Lois Maynard strike late in the second half.
Marcus Holness made his first start since January while Cole Stockton was recalled to start up front alongside Jonny Margetts, while new-boy Marlon Jackson named among the substitutes.
Jay Harris had an early opportunity for Rovers but his curling 25-yard effort went the wrong side of the post.
The home side took the lead on seven minutes as a long ball forward found James Lawrie whose shot from the edge of the box was saved by Scott Davies but George Bowerman was on hand to steer the ball home.
After a couple of half chances at both ends, Alty doubled their lead on 29 minutes when a cross from the right found the head of Michael Rankine who sent the ball past Davies.
Adam Mekki had a couple of efforts on goal from distance, first from a free kick and then from open play but both were off-target before finding the target on 40 minutes when he hit a half-volley which Altrincham goalkeeper Tim Deasy did well to save.
On 43 minutes, Liam Ridehalgh's free-kick from the left found Ritchie Sutton but the defender's header was stopped by Deasy as the hosts went in 2-0 ahead at the break.
The opening chance of the second half fell to Rovers with Mekki causing problems down the right as he turned past two defenders to send a low cross which was blocked on the line by Shaun Densmore before Deasy gathered.
On 63 minutes, Rovers made a double change in attack with Nathan Blissett and Andy Mangan replacing Cole Stockton and Jonny Margetts.
Ridehalgh sent over a dangerous cross with 20 minutes remaining only for Altrincham defender Andy Parry to turn the ball out of play.
On 73 minutes, Marlon Jackson came on for his Rovers debut in place of Ridehalgh and his first action was to supply a dangerous cross which Blissett turned just wide.
Following an Altrincham corner, the ball was half cleared and Jordan Sinnott volleyed over the crossbar on 79 minutes.
Rankine fired over the bar before Rovers halved the deficit on 86 minutes as Lois Maynard netted his first for the club by firing home from 15 yards.
But it was not enough as more pressure on the Altrincham goal could not bring an equaliser.

Altrincham: Deasy, Densmore, Griffin, Moult, Leather, Lawrie (Griffith 85), Richman, Rankine, Bowerman (Reeves 76), Sinnott (O'Keefe 88), Parry. Substitutes: Crowther, Heathcote.

Tranmere: Davies; Sutton, Riley, Holness, Mekki, Harris, Jennings, Maynard, Ridehalgh (Jackson 73), Stockton (Mangan 63), Margetts (Blissett 63). Substitutes: Turner, Ihiekwe. 

Referee: Richard Martin

Yellow cards: Densmore (43), Harris (58), Richman (81)
Red cards:
Goals: Bowerman (7), Rankine (29); Maynard (86)
Attendance: 2460

    Latest Match Reports