Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:53 AM

Rovers picked up a point on the road against Welling United as Lois Maynard's second half header was cancelled out by a stunning strike by Sam Corne for the home team.
Tranmere manager Gary Brabin made three changes to the starting line-up from the Kidderminster game on Monday with Matt Hill, Michael Ihiekwe and James Norwood all coming back into the team.
The first opportunity on goal came to the home side on 15 minutes as a through ball found Sahr Kabba who burst on goal but the outrushing Scott Davies made a good save to prevent the danger.
A couple of minutes later, Davies was called into action again to save a 20-yard shot by Sam Corne before Ritchie Sutton made an excellent block to stop a goalbound shot by Xavier Vidal.
Rovers' first chance fell to Andy Mangan on 22 minutes as the striker beat one defender before having a low shot deflected wide.
A free kick to Rovers on 34 minutes saw the ball fall at the feet of Jay Harris but the midfielder's shot was deflected and cleared away while five minutes before half time, Davies came out and made a good save to deny Kabba.
Rovers began the second half well and took the lead within 60 seconds of the restart as Ridehalgh's corner from the right was met by James Norwood whose flick found Lois Maynard who nodded the ball home.
Jay Harris tried to double Tranmere's lead from 20 yards on 59 minutes but his effort curled just wide of the post before the midfielder was called into defensive duty as he cleared a header off the line.
On 64 minutes, a right wing corner by Ridehalgh was met by Norwood who couldn't keep his header down and it went narrowly over the crossbar.
Rovers were reduced to 10 men on 72 minutes when Ritchie Sutton was sent off for an off-the-ball incident.
With 11 minutes remaining, Tranmere made their first substitution of the game with Marcus Holness replacing Andy Mangan.
Welling equalised with three minutes left as a throw in on the left fell to Sam Corne who hit a stunning effort from 25 yards which went in off the angle of crossbar and post.
The hosts pressed for a winner but the Rovers defence stood strong and the points were shared.

Welling: King, Jefford, Osborne, Chambers, Porter, Lee, Kabba (Adeyinka 81), Lokko (Obafemi 81), Corne, Harri, Vidal. Substitutes: McEntegart, Fagan, Wellard.

Tranmere: Davies, Ihiekwe, Sutton, Hogan, Hill, Harris, Jennings, Maynard, Ridehalgh, Mangan (Holness 79), Norwood. Substitutes: Turner, Jackson, Stockton, Margetts. 

Referee: Craig Hicks

Yellow cards: Ihiekwe (71), Mangan (79)
Red cards: Sutton (72)
Goals: Maynard (46); Corne (87)
Attendance: 1,012

    Latest Match Reports