Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:54 AM

Tranmere made two changes for the game against Aldershot Town. Lois Maynard and Adam Mekki came in to the starting eleven replacing Liam Hogan and Marlon Jackson due to injury.

It didn’t take long for the visitors to take the lead when, on 4 minutes, a well-worked interchange between Jake Gallagher and Charlie Walker found Sam Hatton whose low shot under Davies found the left hand corner of the net.

The visitors nearly doubled their lead on 13 minutes; a ball by Charlie Walker found Rhys Browne, only to be intercepted at the last second by Lois Maynard.

Tranmere’s first real chance of the game came on 27 minutes, when James Norwood hit a 25-yard free kick wide.

On 33 minutes, it was Norwood again who was asking the questions but his shot fell wide from 20 yards. 

With half time on the horizon, Charlie Walker hit a 20-yard freekick into the arms of Scott Davies. Omar Beckles then caught Davies off guard but the ball found the roof of the net.

Rovers managed to equalise in first half added time following a mix-up in the Aldershot defence, James Norwood struck the ball past Dan Thomas after the ball fell kindly for the striker.

Rovers made their first substitution at the start of the second half when Andy Mangan replaced Nathan Blissett.

The hosts upped the tempo in the second period, and on 50 minutes, Adam Mekki looked to have been fouled in the Aldershot box but the referee didn’t think so. Mekki then delivered an inviting low cross into the box but it was too strong for Mangan.

The Shots nearly retook the lead on 63 minutes when Davies stopped a ball at the feet of Richard Brodie only for Browne to fire the rebound just wide of the right hand post. 

It was Tranmere, however, who went in front on 68 minutes through Mekki, a powerful drive from the left by Steven Jennings was palmed onto the cross bar only for Mekki to nod the ball over line.

With Rovers having plenty of possession and chances in the second half, they nearly added a third on 82 minutes when Adam Dawson found James Norwood, but Richard Brodie cleared off the line. With three minutes remaining, Dawson found Sutton who headed wide from 8 yards out.

Tranmere did add a third on 90 minutes when James Norwood found Andy Mangan who went round the goalkeeper to score his third goal of the season and ensure Rovers picked up all three points.

Tranmere: Davies, Sutton, Jennings (c), Harris, Blissett (Mangan 46), Norwood, Maynard, Ihiekwe, Hill, Mekki, Dawson (Margetts 90). Substitutes: Turner, Ridehalgh, Gumbs. 

Aldershot: Thomas, Saville, Hatton (c) (Barnes-Homer 78), Stevenson, C Walker, Alexander, Beckles, Browne (D Walker 65), Gallagher, Brodie, Anderton. Substitutes: Lathrope, Harris, Dawber.

Referee: Adrian Holmes

Yellow cards: Barnes-Homer (80), Beckles (88), Jennings (89)
Red cards:
Goals: Norwood (45), Mekki (68), Mangan (90); Hatton (5)
Attendance: 4126 (100)

    Latest Match Reports