Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:54 AM

Rovers picked up another three points with a 1-0 win away at Cheltenham Town.
The only goal of the game came three minutes into second half added time when Andy Mangan turned and fired home.
Tranmere manager Gary Brabin was able to recall Liam Hogan into the starting line-up after missing Tuesday's win over Aldershot recovering from concussion. Andy Mangan also won a recall after a goalscoring appearance off the bench on Tuesday.
In the opposition side, former Rovers midfielder James Rowe made his first start for the Robins.
Cheltenham had the first couple of chances on goal in the opening stages of the game with Kyle Storer having a shot blocked by Ritchie Sutton before Asa Hall fired over the crossbar following a quickly taken corner kick.
Andy Mangan had the first half chance of the match for Rovers as he did well to get in between the two centre backs but the ball was intercepted from him just as he was about to shoot.
The best opportunity of the half for Tranmere came on 42 minutes when a cross-field ball by Jay Harris found Adam Mekki, the latter laying the ball off to the former to find Adam Dawson who had a goalbound effort blocked before Mekki followed up and his shot got the same treatment.
The hosts went down the other end and Lee Vaughan's cross from the right found Danny Wright whose header was expertly tipped over the crossbar by Scott Davies as the first 45 minutes ended goalless.
Mangan had the first chance of the second half five minutes after the restart as he picked the ball up on the left, cut inside and hit a vicious shot which Daniel Parslow headed clear.
Gary Brabin made his first personnel change on 59 minutes as Adam Dawson was replaced by Marlon Jackson.
Cheltenham had a great chance on 70 minutes as Matt Hill took too long to clear his lines and the ball hit Amari Morgan-Smith and ran towards goal only for Liam Hogan to chase back and clear off the line.
They had another good opportunity a few minutes later as Wright nodded back across goal only for Parslow to head over the bar from six yards.
Morgan-Smith got free down the right on 86 minutes but a combination of Sutton and Davies denied the Robins' striker.
Rovers struck the decisive blow of the game thee minutes into added time. Lois Maynard found Andy Mangan in all sorts of space 10 yards from goal and the striker turned and fired home to give Tranmere all three points.

Cheltenham: Phillips, Vaughan (Barthram 73), Dickie, Downes, Parslow, McLennan, Rowe (Waters 67), Storer, Hall (Munns 67), Morgan-Smith, Wright. Substitutes: Kitscha, Thomas.

Tranmere: Davies, Ihiekwe, Sutton, Hogan, Hill, Harris, Jennings, Maynard, Mekki, Mangan (Margetts 90+5), Dawson (Jackson 59). Substitutes: Turner, Ridehalgh, Gumbs, Margetts. 

Referee: Brett Huxtable

Yellow cards: Mekki (75), Storer (77), McLennan (80), Jennings (83)
Red cards:
Goals: Mangan (90+3)

    Latest Match Reports