Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:54 AM

Andy Mangan and Jonny Margetts were both at the double for Tranmere as Rovers recorded a thumping 4-0 victory over high-flying Bromley.
Rovers manager Gary Brabin was forced into one change from the side which beat Cheltenham Town last Saturday. Steven Jennings served a one-match suspension and was replaced in the team by Jonny Margetts.
Defenders Marcus Holness and Martin Riley made a return from injury and took places on the substitutes bench.
For the opposition, former Tranmere defender Ben Chorley started at centre back for Bromley.
Tranmere started brightly and winger Adam Dawson sent over a couple of dangerous crosses from the left which the Bromley defence dealt with.
The opening opportunities on goal fell to Bromley striker Moses Emmanuel who first tried to chip Scott Davies only for the goalkeeper to save, before dragging a shot wide on 20 minutes.
Rovers took the lead on 28 minutes. Ritchie Sutton's long pass down the right channel found Andy Mangan who turned before firing the ball past Chris Kettings in the Bromley goal for his fifth goal of the season.
No sooner as the goal celebrations had died down than Tranmere almost got themselves a second as Jonny Margetts forced Kettings into an excellent save at the near post.
Gary Brabin was forced into his first substitution on 33 minutes when Michael Ihiekwe was unable to continue through injury and was replaced by Martin Riley.
Further Rovers pressure saw Dawson send over a cross which found Margetts' head with Kettings pulling off an excellent save to tip the ball over the crossbar.
Tranmere began the second half brightly and seven minutes after the restart it was 2-0. Bromley failed to clear a cross into the penalty area, Lois Maynard played it back in and Margetts fired home first time from 12 yards giving Kettings no chance.
Rovers kept pressing the Bromley goal and Jay Harris and Dawson had efforts on goal to attempt to further increase the advantage.
At the other end, on 76 minutes, Scott Davies made a good save to deny Reece Prestedge following a right wing corner.
Tranmere were given the opportunity to extend the lead on 79 minutes when the referee awarded a penalty after Margetts was tripped inside the area. Mangan stepped up and took the opportunity with both hands, waiting for the goalkeeper to move before sending the ball down the middle of the goal.
The visitors were reduced to 10 men on 90 minutes when Lee Minshull received his marching orders for an off the ball incident.
In the first minute of added time, Tranmere sealed an emphatic victory when a ball forward found Margetts who fired the ball underneath Kettings for his second of the afternoon.

Tranmere: Davies; Ihiekwe (Riley 33), Sutton, Hogan, Hill; Dawson, Harris, Maynard, Mekki; Mangan, Margetts. Substitutes: Turner, Ridehalgh, Holness, Jackson.

Bromley: Kettings, Udoji, Fuseini, Swaine, Holland (Wall 70), Prestedge (Minshull 84), Cook, Anderson, Dennis (Joseph-Dubois 73), Emmanuel, Chorley. Substitutes: Goldberg, Francis.

Referee: Jason Whiteley  

Yellow cards: Wall (79), Cook (86), Hill (86)
Red cards: Minshull (90) 
Goals: Mangan (28, 79 pen), Margetts (52, 90)
Attendance: 4817 (147)

    Latest Match Reports