Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:54 AM

Rovers picked up a point on the road after an entertaining 2-2 draw against Wrexham at the Racecourse Stadium.
Lois Maynard cancelled out Robbie Evans' opener in the first half before Andy Mangan's second half strike was brought back by Joe Quigley eight minutes from the end.
Gary Brabin made just the one change from the side which beat Bromley 4-0 last weekend. Martin Riley replaced Michael Ihiekwe in defence. Steven Jennings and James Norwood returned into the squad after suspension but had to be content with places on the substitutes bench.
Rovers got off to a bright start and after two corners in the first minute, Liam Hogan saw a header cleared off the line.
Three minutes later, Lois Maynard broke forward from midfield and saw his shot slide the wrong side of the post from 20 yards.
After a scrappy few minutes, Wrexham took the lead on 17 minutes when Dominic Vse's right wing corner was only half cleared and Robbie Evans slammed the ball past Scott Davies from 20 yards.
Tranmere equalised on 25 minutes when Adam Dawson's left wing corner wasn't cleared and Lois Maynard fired the ball into the back of the net for his 3rd goal of the season.
Rovers created more chances as the half went on with Jay Harris' low strike from 30 yards parried by Cameron Belford the best of those.
At the other end, Scott Davies did well three minutes before the break as he stayed big to block Connor Jennings' near post effort as the sides went in level at the interval.
Tranmere took the lead seven minutes into the second half as Ritchie Sutton's low cross was steered home into the bottom corner of the net by Andy Mangan for his seventh goal of the season.
The lead was almost doubled a few minutes later when a high ball found its way to Jonny Margetts with the striker rounding Belford only for Manny Smith to get back round and clear the danger for the hosts.
Midway through the second half, Gary Brabin introduced Steven Jennings and James Norwood for Jonny Margetts and Adam Dawson and it was Norwood who went close soon after entering the fray with a shot from 25 yards which went just wide.
With eight minutes remaining, Wrexham got themselves an equaliser as a low cross was turned home by substitute Joe Quigley from 10 yards.
The hosts pushed for a later winner but despite putting pressure on the Tranmere goal, an opportunity failed to materialise as the points were shared.

Wrexham: Belford, Vidal, Newton, Smith, Fyfield, Vose (Jackson 62), Jennings, Moke (Nolan 66), Carrington (Quigley 62), Evans, York. Substitutes: Hudson, Fowler.

Tranmere: Davies, Sutton, Riley, Hogan, Hill, Harris, Dawson (Norwood 66), Maynard, Mekki, Mangan (Jackson 83), Margetts (Jennings 66). Substitutes: Turner, Ridehalgh. 

Referee: John Brooks

Yellow cards: Hill (62), Vidal (90)
Red cards:
Goals: Vose (17), Quigley (82); Maynard (25), Mangan (52)
Attendance: 6706 (1181)

    Latest Match Reports