Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:54 AM

A first half strike by Andy Haworth ensured that Barrow took all three points from Prenton Park.
An injury-hit Tranmere squad had a number of changes from that which began the match against Eastleigh. Liam Ridehalgh, Steven Jennings, Adam Mekki and Jonny Margetts all returned to the starting line-up while there was a place on the bench for youth team captain Daren Askew.
Rovers first chance came on 5 minutes when Mekki found Jennings whose effort went wide of former Sunderland trainee, Joel Dixon’s right hand post from 6 yards. The home side were applying pressure early on. 
Midway through the first half, Mekki’s cross-field ball tried to find Margetts whose tricky feet took the ball through to keeper Dixon.
On 32 minutes, a Jay Harris cross from the right picked out Ridehalgh who fired over from 10 yards. Shortly after, Tranmere nearly had the break through when Norwood hit a low shot from the right, which was easily claimed by at Dixon.
It the visitors who opened the scoring on the 37 minutes through Andy Haworth, whose low 20-yard strike from the left flew past Scott Davies in the Tranmere goal.
A minute later the home side were nearly back on level terms when a Ridehalgh cross from the left found Jennings whose shot from 6 yards was parried away by Dixon.
On 44 minutes, Margetts stung the palms of Dixon from 8 yards after a fine ball from Norwood on the right, but it was the visitors who went into the break with the one goal advantage.
Barrow were quick out the blocks in the second half, but the first real chance fell to Rovers on 60 minutes when Norwood’s powerful effort from 30 yards was well caught by Dixon.
Tranmere nearly found themselves back on level terms on the 70th minute mark, after a Norwood shot, 12 yards from the left drifted wide of Joel Dixon's right hand post. Shortly after, a cross by Marlon Jackson wide right saw goalkeeper Dixon save.
On 76 minutes, Scott Davies got down well to deny Jason Walker and Barrow a second.
The final real chance of the match fell to Rovers on 83 minutes as Norwood found Margetts on the inside left channel only for him to fire into the arms of Dixon from 20 yards. This was the final action of the match. It was a night to forget for Rovers as Barrow claimed the three points.

Tranmere: Davies; Sutton, Riley, Hogan, Hill; Ridehalgh (Jackson 60), Harris, Jennings, Mekki; Margetts, Norwood. Substitutes: Turner, Holness, Ihiekwe, Askew.

Barrow: Dixon, S. Williams, Ashton, Livesey, G. Williams (Lacey 70), Cowperthwaite, Mellor, Haworth (Pilkington 87), Cook, Wilson (Walker 70), Symington. Substitutes: Grand, Grimes.

Referee: Steven Rushton  

Yellow cards: Harris (55), Norwood (81), Margetts (82)
Red cards:   
Goals: Haworth (37)
Attendance: 4624 (230)

    Latest Match Reports