Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:55 AM

Tranmere fell to their second league defeat on the road this season with a 1-0 loss at Lincoln City.
Gary Brabin made three changes to the side which started against Dover Athletic two weeks ago. Scott Davies returned in goal while there will also returns to the team for Jay Harris and Andy Mangan.
Lincoln made a swift start to the game and in the first 30 seconds, Liam Hearn had fired a shot into the side netting.
Tranmere's first attempt on goal came on 11 minutes when  Gary Taylor-Fletcher intercepted the ball and saw Lincoln goalkeeper Paul Farman off his line and tried to lob him from 40 yards only for the ball to drift just wide of the target.
The next attacking play also went Rovers' way on 19 minutes when Taylor-Fletcher nodded the ball into James Norwood's path but the striker's shot from the left edge of the area went just wide.
Taylor-Fletcher was involved again a couple of minutes later as he picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and hit a low shot which deflected narrowly wide.
On 23 minutes, a low cross by Ritchie Sutton found its way through to Andy Mangan in the six yard box but Farman denied the striker at his near post.
After a bitty few minutes, the next noteworthy chance fell to Norwood on 41 minutes when his header from Matt Hill's cross went just wide before Jay Harris struck a powerful shot from 25 yards was saved by Farman.
Lincoln took the lead a minute before the interval when a right-wing corner was met by the head of Luke Waterfall who sent a powerful header past Scott Davies.
Tranmere started the second half well and seconds in Steven Jennings found Norwood whose effort went wide before Ben Tomlinson's shot from 15 yards was saved by Farman.
Tomlinson had another effort a few minutes later which went across the face of the goal as Rovers pressed for an equaliser.
A free-kick 25 yards out on 61 minutes saw Mangan's shot well saved by Farman.
With 17 minutes remaining, Tranmere made a personnel change with Adam Mekki replacing Tomlinson.
Rovers continued to press for a goal and Norwood's free kick was headed wide by Sutton while Mangan had his 25 yard free kick saved by Farman as Lincoln held on to take all the points.

Lincoln: Farman, Wood, Tempest, Stanley (Power 58), Waterfall, Muldoon (Hawkridge 90), Rhead, Hearn (Wootton 78), Beevers, Sparrow, Howe. Substitutes: Bush, Grant.
Tranmere: Davies; Sutton, McNulty, Riley, Hill; Tomlinson (Mekki 73), Harris, Jennings, Taylor-Fletcher; Mangan, Norwood. Substitutes: Turner, Ridehalgh, Hogan, Margetts.

Referee: Craig Hicks  

Yellow cards: Muldoon (27), Sparrow (45), Riley (66), Jennings (85), Norwood (90+4)
Red cards:   
Goals: Waterfall (44)
Attendance: 3176 (433)

    Latest Match Reports