Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:55 AM

Tranmere made it two wins out of two over the Christmas period by beating Altrincham 1-0 at Prenton Park. A first half strike from James Norwood was enough to secure maximum points although Altrincham pressed hard for an equaliser in the second half.
Gary Brabin made one change to the side which began the 2-1 win over Macclesfield Town on Boxing Day with Ben Tomlinson replacing the injured Gary Taylor-Fletcher.
Tranmere got the game underway but the visitors had the first chance of the match and nearly found themselves in front on six minutes, when Damian Reeves low near post effort was confidently parried away by Scott Davies.
Both teams were having a fair amount of possession but Rovers were applying the most pressure whilst looking dangerous in attack. 
The home side found themselves in front midway through the first half after Lois Maynard's cross-field ball found the feet of James Norwood, who slotted over the on-rushing Tim Deasy, scoring his 11th goal of the season.
The visitors were nearly back on level terms shortly after when Damian Reeves stung the palm of Davies before Lee Vaughan then steered a shot wide.
On 38 minutes, Norwood had a chance to put Tranmere two goals to the good but headed straight into the hands of Deasy.
Michael Ihiekwe headed a Mekki corner onto the post on the stroke of half-time in what was the final action of the first half.
The first real chance of the second 45 minutes fell to the visitors on 53 minutes, when Michael Rankine curled a high effort over the bar from 20 yards out.
Rovers made their first change as Andy Mangan replaced Adam Mekki on 68 minutes, before Norwood forced a strong hand from Deasy to deny him another goal and a Tranmere second.
Altrincham started to apply the pressure late on and could have found themselves an equaliser only for James Lawrie to fire over from 10 yards.
The visitors then broke again only for Scott Leather to hit the bar with a powerful header. Tranmere saw a Lois Maynard shot saved by Deasy at the other end.
With the last kick of the game, Norwood should have made it two but Deasy stood strong to deny him once more as Rovers collected three more points.

Tranmere: Davies, Vaughan, Ihiekwe, McNulty, Hill, Jennings, Harris, Maynard, Tomlinson (Kirby 85), Norwood, Mekki (Mangan 69). Substitutes: Turner, Sutton, Stockton, Kirby.

Altrincham: Deasy, Griffin, Moult, Havern, Leather, Lawrie, Richman, Rankine (Clee 61), Reeves, Crowther, Sinnott. Substitutes: Heathcote, O'Keefe, Bowerman, Williams.

Referee: Richard Wigglesworth  

Yellow cards: Griffin (52), Norwood (81)
Red cards:  
Goals: Norwood (28)
Attendance: 5414 (272)

    Latest Match Reports