Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:56 AM

Rovers made it a three wins in a row as they beat Kevin Nicholson’s Torquay United 2-1 at a cold and blustery Prenton Park.
Tranmere manager Gary Brabin made two changes to the side which started against Bromley last weekend with Liam Ridehalgh and Gary Taylor-Fletcher with Matt Hill and Jeff Hughes missing out through injury.
There was a place on the bench for new signing Jack Mackreth while former Tranmere loane Nathan Blissett started for Torquay.
Tranmere got the game underway attacking the Kop in the first half and had most of the ball in the opening stages but failed to create any clear-cut changes as the Torquay defence stood strong.
The hosts' first real chance came on 20 minutes when Gary Taylor-Fletcher picked out James Norwood whose header was saved by Daniel Lavercombe. 
Steven Jennings later hit a powerful strike over the bar from 20 yards.
Tranmere made the break through on 37 minutes when Gary-Taylor Fletcher hit a stunning strike into the top left corner of the net leaving Lavercombe with no chance.
Shortly after, Torquay’s Danny Butler delivered a dangerous ball into the Tranmere box but Davies gathered.
It seemed the goal gave Rovers a lift as they began to grow in confidence. 
Adam Mekki had a chance to make it 2-0 but could only fire his 25 yard piledriver fly over the bar as Tranmere went into the break a goal to the good. 
Rovers made their first change at the start of the second half with Ritchie Sutton replacing Steve McNulty.
Tranmere nearly made it 2-0 right from the off, only for Lois Maynard's low effort to drift wide of the left hand post from 20 yards.
On 62 minutes, Maynard had a similar effort after taking the ball down via his chest, but could only find the gloves of Lavercombe. 
New signing Jack Mackreth was introduced on 71 minutes as Gary Brabin was forced into a change due to a knock to Mekki.
Tranmere did manage to grab a second goal eight minutes later as James Norwood fired hard and low into the bottom right corner following a Taylor-Fletcher diagonal ball.
With only 10 minutes remaining, Torquay scored a consolation through Harrad whose arrowed header fell into the back of the net at the back post.
Despite a nervous final five minutes, Rovers held on to take all three points and a place in the play-off zone.

Tranmere: Davies, Vaughan, Ihiekwe, McNulty (Sutton 46), Ridehalgh, Jennings, Harris, Maynard, Taylor-Fletcher, Norwood, Mekki (Mackreth 71). Substitutes: Turner, Kirby, Stockton.

Torquay: Lavercombe, Berry, MacDonald, Smith, Nicholson (Chaney 46 (Geohaghon 87)), Richards, Rees, Butler, Ajala, Harrad, Blissett (Wright 63). Substitutes: Fisher, Hancox.

Referee: Jason Whiteley   

Yellow cards: MacDonald (28), Smith (69)
Red cards:  
Goals: Taylor-Fletcher (37), Norwood (79); Harrad (82)
Attendance: 5053 (134)

    Latest Match Reports