Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:57 AM

Rovers picked up three points and three goals to beat Gateshead 3-1 at Prenton Park. Two penalties from James Norwood and a header by Michael Higdon gave Tranmere a 3-0 lead before a Danny Johnson consolation strike.
Tranmere named an unchanged squad from the 1-0 victory in the derby last Sunday against Chester FC. Former Rovers loanee Danny Johnson took his place in the starting line-up for the visitors.
It was a dominant start for the hosts as they piled on the pressure without creating a clear cut opportunity in the opening 25 minutes.
On 26 minutes, Rovers did break the deadlock and it came from the penalty spot as Gateshead defender Ben Clark was adjudged to have handled inside the area and James Norwood stepped up and fired home.
Tranmere continued to press forward and Adam Mekki and Jake Kirby caused the full-backs problems.
The second goal came again from the penalty spot after Mekki was brought down on the left side of the area. Norwood stepped up again and slammed the ball past James Russell to give a 2-0 lead at the interval.
Gateshead began the second half well and forced a couple of corners but Scott Davies was still yet to be to properly tested.
Rovers made it 3-0 on 57 minutes when Jake Kirby sent over an excellent left-wing cross which landed right on Michael Higdon's forehead and the striker bagged his first goal in a Tranmere shirt.
Mekki forced an excellent save from Russell on 64 minutes as he fired in a low left-footed drive from 25 yards.
The visitors pulled a goal back on 67 minutes when Paddy McLaughlin broke forward and his 20 yard shot was parried by Davies as far as Danny Johnson who steered into an empty net.
Jack Mackreth was brought into the action with 15 minutes to go in place of Kirby.
In the final moments of the game, Gary Taylor-Fletcher was introduced in place of Higdon while Gateshead had a shot just wide from Josh Gillies.
Jonny Margetts replaced Mekki in the third minute of injury time as Tranmere maintained their 3-1 advantage and take all three points.

Tranmere: Davies, Vaughan, Ihiekwe, McNulty, Ridehalgh, Jennings, Hughes, Mekki (Margetts 90+3), Kirby (Mackreth 75), Higdon (Taylor-Fletcher 89), Norwood. Substitutes: Turner, Riley, Margetts.

Gateshead: Russell, Curtis, Clark, Ramshaw (Chandler 57), Shaw, Gillies, Johnson, McLaughlin, Hamilton (Pattison 65), Whitmore, Bennett. Substitutes: Baxter, Holden, Pearson.

Referee: Richard Wigglesworth    

Yellow cards: Vaughan (42), Whitmore (57)
Red cards:  
Goals: Norwood (27, 43 pens), Higdon (57); Johnson (67)
Attendance: 4668 (93)

    Latest Match Reports