Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:58 AM

A Michael Higdon header was enough to give Tranmere all three points from the English Riviera against Torquay United. 
Gary Brabin made three changes to the side which started last weekend's game at home versus Welling United. Liam Ridehalgh, Lois Maynard and Michael Higdon all returned to the starting line-up, with Nathan Blissett started for the hosts against the side he spent a month on loan with earlier this season. 
Rovers had the first attempt on goal as Jeff Hughes combined with Michael Higdon to lay the ball back to Lois Maynard whose shot from 20 yards went wide of the target. 
Two minutes later, Brendan Moore in the Torquay goal miscued a clearance which went out for a Tranmere corner and Hughes' delivery hit the near post before the Gulls defence cleared their lines. 
Torquay had their first sight of goal on 18 minutes when a ball forward was chested down nicely by Blissett and Sam Chaney volleyed over the bar from 25 yards. 
The hosts had another good chance midway through the first half when a right wing free kick was headed across goal by Angus MacDonald but his effort ended wide of the goal. 
Rovers had the ball in the back of the net with the final chance of the first half as Liam Ridehalgh's left wing cross found Higdon at the back post who side footed into the net only for the assistant to raise his flag for offside as the sides went in at the break with the scores goalless. 
Eight minutes after the restart, Scott Davies made a superb save to deny Blissett who fired in a powerful shot which the goalkeeper saved. 
Rovers took the lead on 59 minutes when a terrific right wing cross by Vaughan was headed home by Higdon. 
Adam Mekki was introduced for Lois Maynard on 62 minutes in Tranmere's first change of the afternoon. 
Jay Harris hit a powerful effort wide of the goal on 65 minutes as Rovers pressed for a second. 
Harris had another effort soon after which Moore saved before Torquay pressed themselves and forced a couple of corners. 
Tranmere's second change came on 89 minutes with Jake Kirby replacing James Norwood. 

Torquay:Moore, Butler, Rees, MacDonald, Allen, Racchi (Young 58), Ajala (Harrad 59), Blissett, Smith, Chaney (Wright 70), Verma. Substitutes:Richards, Gerring.

Tranmere: Davies, Vaughan, McNulty, Ihiekwe, Ridehalgh, Maynard (Mekki 62), Jennings, Harris, Hughes, Norwood (Kirby 89), Higdon. Substitutes: Turner, Taylor-Fletcher, Fenwick.

Referee: Richard Martin 

Yellow cards: Davies (77), Jennings (82), Ridehalgh (85) 
Red cards:   
Goals: Higdon (59) 
Attendance: 2264 (300)

    Latest Match Reports