Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 25 Oct 15 at 06:10 AM

Tranmere were knocked out of the Emirates FA Cup after a 2-0 defeat by Lincoln City at Sincil Bank.
A 16th minute sending off of goalkeeper Scott Davies, who was adjudged to have handled outside the area, meant it was an uphll battle for Rovers.
Their resistance was broken on 80 minutes when Liam Hearn opened the scoring with Conner Robinson sealing the win six minutes later.
Gary Brabin made two changes to the side which began the original tie on Saturday. Adam Mekki and Gary Taylor-Fletcher missed out through injury with Marlon Jackson and Jonny Margetts replacing them.
After a couple of half chances for Tranmere through Liam Ridehalgh and James Norwood, Rovers were reduced to 10 men on 16 minutes when Scott Davies was adjudged to have handled outside the penalty area and the referee gave him a straight red card.
Iain Turner came on for his Tranmere debut replacing Jonny Margetts.
Turner was brought into action when Steve McNulty was adjudged to have handled inside the penalty area on 23 minutes. Matt Rhead struck the penalty and the Scotsman made a fantastic save low to his right.
The substitute goalkeeper then denied Jack Muldoon who fired a low shot from 15 yards as Rovers kept the Lincoln attack at bay until half time.
It was a quiet opening to the second half with the first action coming on 69 minutes when a right wing cross by Matt Sparrow was put round the post by Turner.
The deadlock was broken when Luke Waterfall played a high ball into the penalty area, Matt Rhead headed it across to Liam Hearn who nodded home from close range to give the hosts the lead.
Hearn almost got on the scoresheet again moments later when he was played through but fired wide from a narrow angle.
Rovers made a change on 82 minutes with Ritchie Sutton replacing Marlon Jackson, Lois Maynard moving forward into midfield.
Lincoln added a second with four minutes remaining as a left wing corner fell to Conner Robinson who fired home from 18 yards.
Jay Harris fired over the bar in the final minute as Lincoln progress into the next round.

Lincoln: Farman, Waterfall, Beevers, Bush (Sparrow 57), Hearn, Howe, Power, Hawkridge (Tempest 90+2), Muldoon (Robinson 53), Rhead, Wood. Substitutes: Tempest, Grant, Everington, Simmons, Hodge.

Tranmere: Davies; Maynard, McNulty, Riley, Hill; Jackson (Sutton 82), Harris, Jennings, Ridehalgh; Margetts (Turner 18), Norwood. Substitutes: Ihiekwe, Mangan, Askew, Holness.

Referee: David Rock 

Yellow cards: Harris (37), Hawkridge (55), Power (62)
Red cards: Davies (16) 
Goals: Hearn (80), Robinson (86)
Attendance: 2380 (119)

    Latest Match Reports