Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Dec 15 at 06:08 AM

A James Norwood penalty gave Tranmere three points from a derby at Chester FC.
With Jay Harris unavailable through suspension and Lois Maynard missing through injury, there were changes in midfield with Steve Jennings returning from suspension and Jake Kirby coming in on the wing.
Tranmere made the early running and Kirby forced a save from Tony Thompson which resulted in a corner which was headed goalwards by Michael Higdon only for a Chester defender to clear off the line.
The home team's first effort was on 16 minutes when John Rooney fired straight at Scott Davies from 20 yards.
Rovers had further chances as Adam Mekki, Jake Kirby and James Norwood shot over the crossbar while Lee Vaughan had a shot saved by Thompson as the teams went in at the breaks with the scores goalless.
Tranmere began the second half lively and Kirby and Norwood forced Thompson into saves shortly after the restart.
Rovers had a penalty shout on 55 minutes when Norwood's effort was blocked by what the players claimed was a hand but nothing was given.
A penalty was awarded on 68 minutes when Mekki was brought down by Johnny Hunt. Norwood stepped up and sent Thompson the wrong way to give Tranmere the lead.
Jack Mackreth and Gary Taylor-Fletcher were brought into the action in place of Kirby and Higdon with 10 minutes remaining.
Taylor-Fletcher had a header which went wide of the target with three minutes left.
Norwood hit a 25 yard free kick which flew narrowly over the crossbar on 89 minutes.
A counter attack in the third minute saw Mekki play in Jennings whose shot was destined for the goal until a touch from Ben Heneghan turned it wide.
But Rovers kept the ball in the final stages and picked up three important points.

Chester: Thompson, O'Brien (Mahon 57), Heneghan, Sharps (Hunt 9), Astles, Chapell, Rooney, Hughes, Lloyd, Alabi, Hannah (Bell 79). Substitutes: Worsnop, Higgins.

Tranmere: Davies, Vaughan, McNulty, Ihiekwe, Ridehalgh, Mekki, Jennings, Hughes, Kirby (Mackreth 74), Norwood, Higdon (Taylor-Fletcher 81). Substitutes: Turner, Riley, Margetts.

Referee: Ryan Johnson 

Yellow cards: Higdon (50), Hannah (59), Ridehalgh (62), Norwood (90+3)
Red cards:   
Goals:  Norwood (69 pen)
Attendance: 3494

    Latest Match Reports