Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Dec 15 at 06:08 AM

Tranmere left it late as they picked up a vital three points in their quest for a play-off place, ending a run of three consecutive draws, as they beat Lincoln City 3-2. 
Gary Brabin made one change to the starting XI which began against Forest Green Rovers last weekend, with Steven Jennings coming into the side after injury. 
New signing Scott Fenwick started on the bench alongside Michael Higdon who returned from injury. 
James Norwood converted a penalty after Lincoln’s Bradley Wood had handled inside the area, with the Imps reduced to ten men, before Lincoln hit back through George Maris. 
Tranmere went in ahead at the break after Jake Kirby fired Rovers ahead in added time. 
Ten-man Lincoln kept pushing forward and were rewarded when Robbie McDaid headed the side level. 
Rovers wasted a number of chances to extend their lead but finally made their domination pay as substitute Adam Mekki sent the home fans into raptures with a late winner. 
Tranmere started the fixture the brighter of the two teams, Kirby with a chance in the box but was unable to control his effort. 
Kirby went down in the box minutes later but the referee waved it away before Jeff Hughes went close with his effort going wide of the post. 
Muldoon had a half-chance for Lincoln but his effort was weak while Terry Hawkridge’s speculative effort went well over. 
Tranmere were awarded a penalty when Wood blocked Hughes’ effort with his arm, with referee Adrian Holmes brandishing a red card. 
Norwood made no mistake from the spot, the goalkeeper guessed the right way, but his powerful penalty gave Rovers the lead. 
But 10-man Lincoln hit back immediately, Hawkridge’s cross headed home by an unmarked George Maris. 
Norwood then saw a headed effort go over the bar as the game entered added time at the end of the first half. 
Rovers went back ahead in the final minutes of the opening half, Gary Taylor-Fletcher unable to make clear contact with the ball but Jake Kirby was on hand to fire the ball past a despairing Paul Farman. 
Lincoln had chances, Jack Muldoon’s effort almost catching out Scott Davies who could only turn it round the post for a corner. 
But Tranmere kept the pressure on, Hughes and Taylor-Fletcher combing only for Norwood to see his effort cleared off the line. 
Lincoln’s defence had to stand firm, Taylor-Fletcher picking out Kirby who couldn’t quite take the ball around the visitors ‘keeper before Norwood’s effort was cleared away once more. 
Norwood had a volley fly wide just after the hour mark while Lincoln had chances of their own, Robbie McDaid pushed wide by Davies. 
Lincoln then levelled once more after a free-kick was fired into the Tranmere box and Davies could only watched as Robbie McDaid’s header flew into the top corner. 
Rovers’ fans were then treated to the sight of loan signing Scott Fenwick who was called into action for the final 20 minutes. 
Norwood then wasted a free-kick opportunity, firing over the bar. 
Tranmere had more of the ball in the final ten minutes and substitute Adam Mekki beat Farman at his near post to send the home fans wild and break Lincoln hearts. 

Tranmere: Davies, Vaughan, Ihiekwe, McNulty, Hill, Harris, Hughes, Jennings, Kirby (Mekki 63), Taylor-Fletcher (Fenwick 75), Norwood. Substitutes: Turner, Riley, Higdon.

Lincoln: Farman, Wood, Tempest (Simmons 57), Waterfall, Bush, Muldoon, Power, Rhead (McDaid 54), Hawkridge, Beevers, Maris. Substitutes: Grant, Wilding, Howe.

Referee: Adrian Holmes  

Yellow cards:  Power (65), Ihiekwe (90+2) 
Red cards: Wood (37) 
Goals:  Norwood (pen 38), Kirby (45+1), Mekki (86); Maris (41), McDaid (72) 
Attendance:  5366 (230)

    Latest Match Reports