Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Jan 16 at 06:11 AM

Rovers were twice pegged back to draw 2-2 at Nethermoor Park against Guiseley.
An own goal and a Jake Kirby strike were not enough to claim all three points as a double from James Hurst equalised on both occasions.
Gary Brabin named an unchanged team from that which beat Gateshead 3-1 on Saturday. Jay Harris returned to the squad after suspension and was named among the substitutes.
Rovers enjoyed some good early pressure with Adam Mekki and Michael Higdon forcing good saves out of Guiseley goalkeeper Dan Atkinson.
On 8 minutes, Higdon met a right wing corner with a bullet header which bounced back out off the crossbar.
Mekki and Jake Kirby both caused problems down the flanks and Rovers had further chances through James Norwood which were narrowly off target.
The home team's first opportunity came on 27 minutes when Liam Dickinson hit a 25-yard free-kick which Scott Davies tipped around the post.
Rovers took the lead on 34 minutes when a dangerous cross from the left was turned into his own net by Guiseley defender Rob Atkinson.
Guiseley soon levelled things up as a deep cross from the left found James Hurst who finished well past Davies from 18 yards.
The second half started in lively fashion and Guiseley struck the crossbar before Tranmere retook the lead on 58 minutes.
Jake Kirby struck the ball well from 20 yards which flew past the hosts' goalkeeper.
The lead only lasted two minutes as Hurst hit a stunning equaliser from 25 yards for his second of the night.
Higdon had a header well saved while James Norwood had a couple of efforts blocked en route to goal as Rovers pushed for a third.
Norwood hit a volley just over with four minutes remaining but it was not enough as the scores finished 2-2.

Guiseley: D. Atkinson, Toulson, Lowe, Lawlor, R. Atkinson, Hall, Hatfield, Dickinson (Boyes 90+3), N. Boshell (Johnson 78), Norburn (Rothery 69), Hurst. Substitutes: Parker, Dudley.

Tranmere: Davies, Vaughan, McNulty (Riley 57), Ihiekwe, Ridehalgh, Mekki, Jennings, Hughes, Kirby, Norwood, Higdon. Substitutes: Turner, Harris, Mackreth, Taylor-Fletcher.

Referee: Stephen Ross  

Yellow cards: Mekki (88)
Red cards:   
Goals: Hurst (38, 60); Atkinson (og 34), Kirby (58)
Attendance: 1147 (541)

    Latest Match Reports