Skip to main content

Report: Brentford 2 Tranmere 0

Posted: Tue 11 Mar 2014

Rovers defeated at Griffin Park

Two second half headers earned Brentford a 2-0 win over Tranmere at Griffin Park.
Rovers hit the crossbar twice in the first 45 minutes but it was the closest they came as goals from James Tarkowski and Clayton Donaldson gave the Bees all three points.
John McMahon named an unchanged starting eleven, while Callum Morris replaced James Rowe on the substitutes' bench. 
Brentford had a chance to open the scoring in the second minute from a quickly taken corner but George Saville sliced his effort wide of the goal. Two minutes later the hosts took another quick set piece, with Jake Bidwell flashing a shot past the left hand post from outside the area.
The home side kept pressing forward and almost took advantage of an underhit back pass from Ash Taylor on six minutes. Will Grigg got behind the defender but Owain Fon Williams saved from close range before Taylor raced back to clear Clayton Donaldson's follow up off the line.
After a nervy start Rovers went on the attack. First Steve Jennings cut into the area after a cross from Jason Koumas was half cleard but his low strike was blocked on the way to goal. Then Ryan Lowe got on the end of a back header from James Tarkowski only for David Button to save his shot and the striker, playing centrally with Jake Cassidy wide on the right, curled against the cross bar on 11 minutes.
After James Wallace missed the target from 25 yards, Donaldson brought a save out of Fon Williams from 15 yards and the keeper then kept out an angled strike from Grigg a minute later.
Tranmere hit the cross bar a second time on 37 minutes, with Stephen Arthurworrey leaping into the air to meet a Jason Koumas corner only to see his header bounce down and up against the woodwork.
Alan Judge fired just over the Tranmere goal following a 50 yard run through the centre of the pitch on 43 minutes and Tarkowski hit the base of the left hand post with a header from Bidwell's free kick in added time at the end of the first half. 
Rovers were inches away from opening the scoring four minutes into the second half. Lowe broke free down the right and his cross was side footed just past the left hand post by Junior Brown.
Fon Williams pushed a swerving Jake Reeves shot away from goal on 58 minutes but four minutes later the home side took the lead, with Tarkowski heading in a free kick from Jake Bidwell at the back post.
Donaldson cut inside and shot against the right hand post on 64 minutes while substitute Marcello Trotta fired into the side netting soon after as Brentford pressed for a second. 
It came on 74 minutes, with a quick move down the left wing ending in Donaldson heading in a cross from Alan Judge at the back post.
Donaldson blazed over on 80 minutes and brought a save out of Fon Williams five minutes later after running on to a through ball.

Brentford: Button, Craig, Douglas, Donaldson, Grigg (Trotta 64), McCormack, Saville (Forshaw 64), Judge (Adams 84), Reeves, Bidwell, Tarkowski. Unused substitutes: Lee, O'Connor, Dallas, Yennaris.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Arthurworrey, Ridehalgh, Cassidy (Stockton 88), Koumas, Jennings, Wallace, Brown (Robinson 72), Lowe. Unused substitutes: Mooney, Goodison, Morris, Power, Kirby.

Referee: Trevor Kettle

Yellow cards: Wallace (25), McCormack (39), Cassidy (61), Tarkowski (79)