Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

08 August 2023 Venue Oakwell Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English League Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Barnsley 2-2 (6-7 pens) Tranmere Rovers

8 August 2023

Tranmere Rovers progressed to the second round of the Carabao Cup on penalties, after a 2-2 draw away at League One Barnsley. 

Luke Norris opened the scoring on his first start for the Club after 24 minutes before Herbie Kane levelled for the hosts just before the break. 

Sam Taylor gave Rovers the lead again from 20-yards before a 98th minute equaliser from Tykes substitute Aiden Marsh. 

Despite the late setback, the visitors held their nerve in a lengthy shootout to progress 7-6 and record their first win against Barnsley at Oakwell. 

Norris and Kristian Dennis made their first competitive starts for Rovers, but it was Taylor impressing the most in the early stages, as he wriggled past three defenders into the box before having a shot blocked. 

Backed by a noisy set of travelling fans, Tranmere continued to press their League One hosts. Norris’ shot was saved low by Ben Killip, and both Taylor and Dennis missed the target with efforts five minutes later. 

However, the visitors were rewarded for their dominance, as Norris netted his first goal for the Club. A free kick was worked into Tom Davies at the far post, who nodded across for the number nine to convert and open the scoring. 

The hosts then began to get a foot in the game. Kane was causing problems but couldn’t find the target with a free kick from the edge of the penalty area. 

However the Barnsley midfielder did bring the scores level in the third minute of added time, as he fired a shot into the ground and caught out Joe Murphy, who parried the ball over the line. 

Rovers responded instantly after the break, though. Paul Lewis hit the crossbar with a header, before Taylor found the far corner just seconds later with a strike from 20-yards. 

Kane’s effort from the edge was saved well by Murphy before the midfielder curled over as the game approached the hour mark. 

Barnsley continued to knock on the door as Andy Dallas saw his effort deflect behind, but it was Harvey Saunders who came closest to scoring next, as Killip was forced to stop his low effort on the line with just under 15 minutes to go. 

However late pressure from the hosts told and Marsh guided a shot past Murphy in the eighth minute of stoppage time to send the game into a penalty shootout. 

Tranmere started perfectly, Josh Hawkes made no mistake and goalscorer Marsh had his spot kick saved. However sudden death loomed as Regan Hendry was denied. 

Lewis made it 7-6 to Rovers before Jack Shepherd blazed over for Barnsley, booking Ian Dawes’ side a well-deserved spot in the second round. 


TRANMERE ROVERS: Murphy, Leake, Davies, Yarney, McAlear, Lewis, Morris (Hemmings 89’), Hendry, Taylor (Hawkes 61’), Norris (Saunders 58’), Dennis (Jennings 58’) 

SUBS NOT USED: McGee, O’Connor, Turnbull, Jolley, Merrie 

ATTENDANCE: 4,343 (439 Tranmere) 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account