Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

16 March 2024 Venue SToK Cae Ras Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Wrexham 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

16 March 2024

Tranmere Rovers enjoyed Derby Day delight at the STōK Cae Ras, beating Wrexham 1-0 in North Wales.

Luke Norris scored the only goal of the game after just nine minutes, wrestling off Andy Cannon to poke the ball beyond the helpless Arthur Okonkwo in goal. 

Wrexham pushed hard for an equaliser for the remaining 80 minutes, but Nigel Adkins’ side held firm to send the 1,151 Tranmere fans home ecstatic. 

The win maintains Rovers’ 36-year unbeaten run at Wrexham, as they climb to 14th in the League Two table. 

Both sides exchanged half chances in the opening five minutes, Wrexham’s blocked well by Jordan Turnbull in the box before Norris rolled a shot wide of the post at the other end. 

Joe Yarney was booked for a foul in the middle of the Tranmere half. The free kick was played wide, but Rovers dealt with the danger. 

Then Tranmere were rewarded for their hard work early on, as Norris latched onto a long pass from Regan Hendry, wrestled off Cannon and poked the ball beyond Okonkwo in the Wrexham goal. 

The hosts looked to respond immediately, but Luke Young’s effort from range was parried clear by Luke McGee. 

Tranmere won a free kick just outside the penalty area, after Connor Jennings was fouled. Hendry’s floated ball looked to have been directed towards goal, but a crucial clearance off the line denied Nigel Adkins’ side their second of the afternoon. 

A good spell for Wrexham followed, with the Welsh side winning a flurry of corners, the latter of which was headed over by Eoghan O’Connell. 

An opening fell for Steven Fletcher in the penalty area with 25 minutes played, following a neat passing move, but Turnbull was on hand to block it behind for a corner. 

Wrexham were well in control of the possession and several Rovers defenders had to throw themselves at an Elliot Lee effort to keep the lead. The hosts won a corner which was headed towards goal by Will Boyle, with McGee equal to it. 

Hendry was next in the book for a challenge on Ryan Barnett 30-yards from the Rovers goal. The home side were intent on levelling before the break and Fletcher attempted to round McGee but was flagged for offside. 

Norris tried his luck from range, a deflection taking his effort comfortably into the arms of Okonkwo. At the other end, Paul Mullin nodded wide from a Barnett cross before Fletcher’s effort deflected over off Yarney.  

Rovers had to work for their chances and could’ve doubled their lead just before the interval, Norris feeding Rob Apter for a low cross, but Okonkwo was down to gather. 

The half entered three minutes of added time and Lee was incensed to not win a corner, after his shot from the edge of the box dipped over McGee’s crossbar.  

Wrexham won a free kick five minutes into the second half which floated in and bobbled between heads in the box. Fletcher eventually smashed a shot towards goal, but Lee O’Connor made a vital block and Rovers cleared.  

Lee fired over with a first-time effort from a cross a few minutes later as the hosts continued to knock on the door. He got another chance went Rovers failed to clear their lines, but Brad Walker blocked and hammered the ball away. 

Rovers’ first meaningful attack of the half came just past the 60th minute, as Wrexham had to be alert to defend a number of good crosses from O’Connor. 

Substitute Sam Dalby came close to finding the equaliser, guiding a header just wide from close range as the clock ticked to 70. 

The game was opening up and Rovers were able to use their pace in wide areas some more, Harvey Saunders and Apter both having chances, the latter brushing the side netting with a shot. 

Jordan Davies curled a free kick wide with just over ten minutes to play, before McGee rose to tip over a shot from Lee that was dipping towards goal from a deflection. 

Davies was looking to make his impact off the bench known but missed the target again with a long-range shot. Jacob Mendy chopped onto his right foot in a similar position, some 20-yards out, and curled over too. 

Saunders raced through on goal, Kristian Dennis carving open the Wrexham defence with a through ball, but O’Connell was back well to end the attack. 

Five minutes of added time were signalled, but ultimately not enough for Wrexham to break the Rovers resistance, Nigel Adkins’ men standing firm to record a memorable derby victory in North Wales. 


WREXHAM: Okonkwo, Young (Davies 64’), Mullin, O’Connell, Mendy, Cannon (O’Connor 79’), Boyle (Palmer 64’), Fletcher (Dalby 64’), Barnett (Bolton 69’), Cleworth, Lee 

SUBS NOT USED: Howard, Tozer 

TRANMERE ROVERS: McGee, O’Connor, Yarney, Turnbull, Wood, Apter (Lewis 76’), Walker, Hendry, Saunders (Morris 90’), Jennings, L. Norris (Dennis 71’) 

SUBS NOT USED: Murphy, Hawkes, Merrie, Belehouan 

ATTENDANCE: 12,519 (1,151 Tranmere) 


This match report is sponsored by Just Click Marketing. 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account