Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere 0-0 Mansfield

21 August 2018

Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere 0-0 Mansfield

21 August 2018

Tranmere Rovers responded well with a competitive nil-nil draw at Prenton Park after the 3-2 defeat away at Swindon Town on Saturday.

 The best chance of the match came from the visitors when Tyler Walker was put clean through on goal as he managed to get it past Scott Davies, but the ball whistled past the post.

The game got off to a staggering start, as Otis Khan found himself in space just outside the penalty area, his shot was directed straight at Scott Davies' but the Rovers keeper needed two attempts to smother the ball.

Soon after, it was the home side's turn to shake things up as Manny Monthe whipped in a cross which was excellently brought down by James Norwood before the ball was ushered away from goal by Krystian Pearce, but won a corner for the whites.

From the resulting corner, Ollie Banks found himself with a shooting opportunity but his shot was well saved by Austrian shot-stopper Bobby Olejnik.

With a lot happening inside the first ten minutes, this was set to continue as Neil Bishop tried his luck from 25-yards, but his shot was just over Davies' crossbar.

Khan continued to cause problems for the Tranmere defence when he found himself with space to shoot from distance once more, however, this time his effort was brilliantly tipped over by Davies.

Cole Stockton, who played a big part in the way that Rovers' went about the first half showed Prenton Park what he could do with some great hold up play, which sent Norwood on his way, and his shot forced Olejnik into a save with his feet!

After a period of little chances but some effective changes in possession for both sides, it was the away side to turn the tempo up once more.

As we reached the half-hour mark, Khan, who was very active for the away side in the first half found space to open up for a shot, but Rovers' goalkeeper Davies raced off his line to deny the Stags the game's opening goal.

The action for the first period wasn't finished there, after a Tranmere advantage, the away side broke away, but Walker's cross into the box was cleared into the Kop Stand behind the goal by McNulty who nearly sliced the ball into his own net

Half-time: Tranmere Rovers 0-0 Mansfield Town

The second half lacked a lot of what we had seen in the first 45 minutes, as Monthe whipped in a low cross which was aimed at Stockton but the forward man missed the ball at the near post, and then it was cleared by Benning.

It was the host's chance to start the half well though, as Caprice had his opposite number panicking with some clever play, turning his man before firing in a cross which was headed just over by Stockton.

Tranmere did not have the game all their own way through and this was sussed when a low drive across goal from CJ Hamilton was missed by teammate Craig Davies and the ball was cleared by Mark Ellis.

Khan had to wait until midway through the second period for his chance, he was left unmarked by the home side and he twisted and turned before sending a shot straight down Davies' throat.

Chances came like London buses after a significant period without any clear-cut chances as we approached the last ten minutes; a long ball from Davies, brilliantly headed down by Stockton gave Norwood a chance which he snatched at and his deflected shot fell into the grateful hands of Olejnik.

Then it was the home side who nearly won the points, as Monthe was the one to rise highest in the box after a cross from the right but was denied by a superb save from Olejnik, who was making just his second appearance for the away side.

The visitors broke once again, after shouts for handball on halfway were waved down by referee Thomas Bramall, Hamilton played in Walker but the striker fired at the side netting, with some behind the goal starting to celebrate!

As we approached the dying moments, Norwood, who has been a prominent scorer for Rovers so far this season, drilled a low shot which forced a good save to Olejnik's right.

Full-time: Tranmere Rovers 0-0 Mansfield Town

TRANMERE ROVERS: 1. Scott Davies, 5 Stephen McNulty (c), 6. Manny Monthe, 10. James Norwood, 11. Connor Jennings, 12. Luke McCullough, 14. Jake Caprice, 16. Mark Ellis, 18. Johnny Smith (17. Dylan Mottley Henry 70), 20. Cole Stockton, 28. Ollie Banks

Unused Substitutes: 23. Shamal George, 7. Ben Tollitt, 9. Paul Mullin, 22. Harvey Gilmour, 29. Larnell Cole, 30. Carl Spellman

MANSFIELD TOWN: 12. Bobby Olejnik, 2 Hayden White, 3. Mal Benning (11. Will Atkinson 58), 5. Krystian Pearce, 6. Neal Bishop, 7. Alex Macdonald, 9. Craig Davies (32. Danny Rose 78), 10, Otis Khan (16. Callum Butcher 78), 17. Ryan Sweeney, 19. Tyler Walker, 22. Cj Hamilton

Unused Substitutes: 1. Conrad Logan, 8 Jacob Mellis, 22. Lewis Gibbens, 24. Omari Sterling-James

Yellow cards: White (33), Atkinson (90+)

Attendance:5466 with 287 away fans

Referee: Thomas Bramall

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account