Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 2 Liverpool 3

10 July 2018

Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 2 Liverpool 3

10 July 2018

Tranmere Rovers continued their preparations for the new campaign with a narrow 3-2 defeat against Liverpool on Tuesday night at Prenton Park.

Goals from new signing Jonny Smith and trialist Amadou Soukouna came in a brilliant second half performance, after Liverpool were 3-0 up at the break with goals from Rafa Camacho, Sheyi Ojo and Adam Lallana.

It took just over five minutes for the visitors to take the lead with Camacho finishing a move, slotting into the bottom corner, well executed by Liverpool with good work from Sheyi Ojo in the build-up.

Tranmere responded well to going a goal behind and despite the away team having the majority of the possession, the Whites didn't let them have it all their own way, with good pressure being mounted by Mellon's men.

A move with a good one two between Ollie Banks and Jay Harris sent defender Jake Caprice on his way down the far side, who showed pace to get past Robertson but couldn't quite control the ball which was gathered by Ward.

Dominic Solanke headed in an awkward position straight into Davies' hands from Robertson's cross from the left.

Originally from a Liverpool corner, which was initially dealt with by Ellis, found Ojo inside the penalty area who drilled his shot into the far corner of the net.

Just before the half hour mark, Mullin headed the ball over the crossbar from an unfortunate unbalanced position after the cross had come in.

Soon after Liverpool lead by three, with Lallana powering a shot into the net after the attack from Liverpool was not able to be cleared, leaving Davies' with no chance.

Leaning towards the break, Tranmere had their best chance of the game with Norwood denied by an excellent fingertip save from Danny Ward, as the forward tried to volley a shot into the corner of the net.

Towards the end of the first half Tranmere had a spell of possession and were resilient to Liverpool's attacks, Ellis and Monthe being the main interceptors for the Whites.

The second half brought changes from both sides, one Nathaniel Clyne for Liverpool, who sprinted away from his man but could not find the net as he sent his low drive wide of Davies' post.

Tranmere got a goal back midway through the second half, Jonny Smith reacting first to Karius spilling the ball from an Ollie Norburn free kick which was given for hand ball.

Next it was Liverpool's chance to attack, Sturridge drove a powerful low shot but Luke Pilling was able to get down low to deny him a goal.

Ten minutes from time, Tranmere reduced the deficit further, this time trialist Amadou Soukouna took the ball off Milner and then slotted past Karius and into the back of the net.

Soon after Liverpool had a good chance to make it four, but thanks to bravery and a fine save from Pilling to deny Liverpool on not one but two occasions in a short space of time.

Towards the end of the match, another Liverpool attack was finished with Curtis Jones only finding the side netting, from Clyne's cross.

Tranmere: Davies (Pilling 63), McNulty © (Sutton 45), Monthe, Cole (Tollitt 45), Banks (Norburn 45), Mullin (Soukouna 45), Jennings (Gilmour 63), Caprice, Ellis (Bakayogo 45), Harris (Tonga 63), Norwood (Smith 63)

by Aidan Jones

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account