Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Northwich Victoria 1-2 Tranmere Rovers

14 November 2018

Match Reports

Report: Northwich Victoria 1-2 Tranmere Rovers

14 November 2018

Tranmere advanced through to the next round of the Cheshire Senior Cup on Tuesday night after victory against Northwich Victoria.

Rovers came out of the traps in lightning fashion and broke the deadlock within the first three minutes. After neat play down the right, Franklyn Akammadu raced through on goal and hit a low effort past the Northwich keeper and into the left corner to make it 1-0.

Just five minutes later and Rovers nearly doubled their advantage. Tollitt twisted and turned past his marker and flashed a cross right along the six yard box but nobody could quite get their studs to it.

The one way traffic continued and on 20 minutes Nugent led a Tranmere counter attack down the left, cut inside and curled shot towards the far corner which went inches past the post.

Youth player, Bailey Thompson stole the ball from Fitzgerald on the half way line on 32 minutes and drove towards goal but Kieran Kenny covered well for Northwich and made a sliding tackle before Thompson could release the ball to a team mate.

Five minutes before the break and Taberner in the Northwich net did brilliantly to deny Akammadu his second of the night. Ben Tollitt broke with pace down the centre of the pitch and played a perfectly weighted pass to the forward whose shot was palmed around the post by the Northwich stopper.

Rovers went into the break with one goal to the good.

Similar to Tranmere in the first half, Northwich started the half in impressive style. Just five minutes into the second half and Harvey White unleashed a powerful shot which arrowed into the top right corner past Passant to even the score.

If there was ever a definition of instant reply, this was it. From kick off, Rovers went down the other end and Thompson poked home from six yards after a goal mouth scramble. Northwich had been level for all of one minute.

Northwich came agonisingly close to an equaliser on 74 minutes. Some first time passing down the right resulted in a cut back to Camozzi whose side footed shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Passant to keep Rovers ahead.

Despite late pressure from Northwich, Tranmere held out to secure the win and advance to the next round of the Cheshire Senior Cup.

Tranmere: Passant, Kerr (Burton 78') Gumbs, Ellis, Ridehlagh, Tollitt, Walker-Rice, Devine, Thompson, Nugent (Roberts 85'), Akammadu

Attendance: 135

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account