Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe 3-4 Tranmere

6 October 2018

Match Reports

Morecambe 3-4 Tranmere

6 October 2018

Tranmere Rovers came out on top of a seven goal thriller at the Globe Arena, winning 4-3 to seal back to back victories in League Two.

The points were sealed in the 89th minute, as Harvey Gilmour curled a fabulous strike beyond Barry Roche in the Morecambe goal in front of nearly 1,400 travelling Rovers supporters.

Ollie Banks, Gilmour and Jonny Smith cancelled out Rhys Oates’ opener, but two late goals from Vadaine Oliver and A-Jay Leitch Smith brought the game back level. Tranmere showed great spirit and ensured the points returned to Prenton Park, as Gilmour sealed his brace.

Micky Mellon made two changes from the win against league leaders Lincoln City, Gilmour and Paul Mullin replacing James Norwood and Cole Stockton, who missed out through injury and suspension respectively.

First chance of the game fell to the visitors with three minutes on the clock as Mullin created space in the Shrimps after a clever pass from Banks, but experienced goalkeeper Barry Roche was quick to react to palm away to safety.

Tranmere dominated the first ten minutes but against the run of play in the 13th minute, Oates managed to find his way through the Rovers midfield and took a shot from 20 plus yards which creeped past Scott Davies.

Rovers however didn’t let the goal deflate their positive start and continued to control possession, but Morecambe were looking dangerous in the final third and finding space.

Tranmere’s positive play reaped reward just before the half hour mark as Banks levelled for the visitors, connecting cleanly with Gilmour’s right hand side free-kick.

Bristol City loan man Jonny Smith was causing havoc on the right hand side, and his tricky and pace constantly created goal scoring opportunities.

But it was from the opposite flank Rovers’ second goal came from, as Zoumana Bakayogo delivered a delightful cross from the left hand side for Gilmour to direct a diving header into the bottom left hand corner.

Into the second half, and Davies was put to the test within 60 seconds, tipping Andrew Tutte’s free-kick over the crossbar and into the home stand.

The second half matched up to the first for entertainment, as both sides created goal scoring opportunities within the first ten minutes. Smith had been threatening to score all game and he did just that in the 54th minute, bending the ball from the edge of the box past the stretched right arm of Roche.

Tranmere were the team in the ascendency in search of the fifth goal of the game, but in the 73rd minute, Morecambe were given a lifeline as Vadaine Oliver crashed a header home to give the Shrimps hope.

Manager Mellon reacted and brought on Dylan Mottley-Henry for the third goal scorer, Smith. Meanwhile, former Rovers man Kevin Ellison was introduced by their boss, Jim Bentley.

Morecambe found their equaliser with ten minutes to play, as A-Jay Leitch Smith flicked a backwards header into the far corner beyond Davies as Tranmere failed to clear a free-kick from the left flank.

The home side had the momentum but Tranmere had the belief and in the 89th minute, Gilmour struck a peach, worthy to win any game, after a phenomenal run from Bakayogo from left back to seal a brilliant win for Rovers.

Davies, McNulty, Monthe, Buxton, Bakayogo, Smith (Mottley Henry 75), Banks, Gilmour, McCullough, Jennings (Ellis 90), Mullin (Akammadu 80). Subs not used: Cole, Caprice, Wharton.

Away fans: 1367

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account