Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Northampton 1 Tranmere 1

1 September 2018

Match Reports

Report: Northampton 1 Tranmere 1

1 September 2018

James Norwood’s sixth goal of the season earned Tranmere a 1-1 draw at Northampton Town. 

Rovers took the lead early in the second half when the striker found the net from 12 yards but the home side hit back soon after to pick up a share of the points. 

Micky Mellon named an unchanged team from the 1-0 win over Port Vale, while Zoumana Bakayogo and Harvey Gilmour returned from injury to be named among the substitutes. 

In a high tempo opening first few minutes Mark Ellis headed an Ollie Banks corner wide at the back post while the home side went even closer as Junior Morias sliced a shot away from the target from just a few yards out. 

The action swung back and forth. James Norwood was inches away from connecting with a low Jonny Smith cross at the back post on five minutes before Kevin van Veen fired high over the Tranmere goal from 25 yards after picking up a loose ball. 

Connor Jennings sent a lob on to the roof of the Cobblers goal on seven minutes while a curled effort from Morias and back post header from Jack Bridge both went wide of goal for Northampton.

Banks picked out the run of Jennings into the area on 17 minutes but he was beaten to the ball by Northampton keeper David Cornell. At the other end Ellis blocked a shot from van Veen and it needed a strong save from Davies to deny Bridge on 20 minutes before Sam Foley fired the rebound over the bar under pressure from Stephen McNulty.

Luke McCullough and Jonny Smith combined to find Cole Stockton on 27 minutes but the striker couldn’t bring the pass under control as he progressed towards goal and the home side cleared the danger, while Ellis was close to opening the scoring when his back post header at a Banks free kick was superbly kept out by the feet of Northampton keeper David Cornell 

McNulty did well to chest a right wing cross back to Davies on 36 minutes and a minute later Hoskins fired into the side netting after running on to a through ball from Matt Crooks.

The deadlock was broken five minutes into the second half. Jennings found Norwood who ran into the area and twisted his way past two defenders before rolling a low shot under the body of Cornell and into the net. 

Jennings brought a save out of the keeper with a dipping long-range effort on 53 minutes but soon after the home side drew level. After Crooks worked his through the Tranmere half and found Bridge wide on the left, his low cross reached Morias six yards out and he controlled before firing into the bottom left corner.

The hosts had the ball in the net a second time soon after, but Hoskins’ drilled effort was ruled out for a foul in the build-up.

Davies had to race off his line and dive at the feet of Hoskins to deny the Northampton player a one on one shooting opportunity on 69 minutes and the Rovers keeper saved from van Veen three minutes later.

Good work from Stockton on the edge of the home area created a chance for Jennings on 73 minutes and his shot with the outside of his foot had to be turned behind for a corner. 

Davies saved from Hoskins on 77 minutes and it needed a timely clearance over his own bar from McNulty to deny the hosts another close range shot seconds later. 

Substitute Bakayogo volleyed wide from 20 yards after a Banks free kick was headed clear of the area on 85 minutes while a sliced clearance at the opposite end from Jennings gave Aaron Pierre a chance but his shot missed the target. 

The Cobblers had two corners late on as they went in search of a winner but both were cleared by Ellis as Rovers left with a share of the spoils 

Northampton: Cornell, Facey, Buchanan, Taylor, Hoskins, Foley, van Veen, Morias (Waters 66), Pierre, Bridge (O’Toole 75), Crooks. Unused substitutes: Odoffin, Barnett, Williams, Bowditch, Ward.  

Tranmere: Davies, Caprice, McNulty, Ellis, Monthe, Smith (Mottley-Henry 54), Banks, McCullough, Jennings, Stockton, Norwood. Unused substitutes: George, Gilmour, Tollitt, Cole, Mullin. 

Referee: Nicholas Kinseley

Yellow cards: Banks (86), Jennings (90)

Attendance: 4916 (691 Tranmere)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account