Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Lincoln 0-0 Tranmere

22 April 2019

Match Reports

Report: Lincoln 0-0 Tranmere

22 April 2019

Tranmere Rovers secured a well earned point at Sky Bet League Two champions Lincoln City with a 0-0 draw in front of nearly 1,000 TRFC supporters.

Tranmere had their chances in a party atmosphere at Sincil Bank but a valuable point as we move to Saturday's important league match at home to Bury. 

Within the opening two-minutes, goalkeeper Scott Davies came to Tranmere’s rescue, when he stood up tall to deny Michael O’Connor on a one-on-one situation after the midfielder was played in by Matt Rhead.

Rhead then had a go himself from distance but saw his dipping drive from outside the box well held by Davies.

Up the other end, Tranmere engineered their first chance of the contest midway through the opening half when top-scorer James Norwood broke free down the left before cutting in to the box where he forced goalkeeper Matt Gilks to a smart low stop down to his left.

Davies was called upon again for Rovers as the half drew to a close in sun-kissed Lincolnshire, beating away Bruno Andrade’s fierce low right-footed effort from the right-side of the box following a clever set-piece routine from the hosts.

After the break, Tranmere began brightly, and Mellon’s men had two early opportunities, with Jay Harris drilling his right-footed shot across goal from the right-edge of the area creeping just wide of Gilks’ far post after positive build-up play.

Rovers went close again through Norwood, who controlled a lofted pass to beat his man inside the area, however the forward swivelled his volley just beyond the left upright.

In a frantic start to the second-half, Tranmere were indebted to full-back Jake Caprice as the game approached the hour-mark, superbly clearing Rhead’s powerful goal-bound effort from 10-yards off the line after the veteran forward was played by John Akinde’s cut-back from the right.

Akinde was in the thick of the action again minutes later, rising highest to meet Harry Toffolo’s long-throw down the left which Davies clutched in to his grasp.

Rovers were continuing to battle away as they dealt with Danny Cowley’s already-promoted outfit well in the heat.

Norwood had two quick-fire attempts to open the scoring for Tranmere in the closing 20 minutes.

After driving at the home defence, his right-footed shot from distance was straight in to the hands of stopper Gilks.

As the game entered its closing stages, Rovers back-line continued to remain firm in the face of heavy pressure.

And Tranmere held on to earn a hard-fought point away at the table-toppers.

TRFC: Davies, Caprice, Nelson (Gumbs 45 )(Buxton 90)  Monthe, Bakayogo, Morris, Banks, Harris, Jennings, Norwood, Mullin (Gilmour 45)

Subs not used: Smith, Pilling, Pringle, Dagnall.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account