Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere 0-1 Forest Green

19 April 2019

Match Reports

Tranmere 0-1 Forest Green

19 April 2019

Tranmere Rovers lost 1-0 at home to Forest Green Rovers at Prenton Park courtesy of a second half strike Junior Mondal.

The game was played in front of 9,468 of which only 170 of those were from Forest Green Rovers, a fantastic effort from the SWA and at the full time whistle, they showed their support for the team with three important league games remain.

Tranmere started the game strong at a sun kissed Prenton Park, as Connor Jennings cut inside from the left in the first five minutes, bending an effort just round James Montgomery’s far post.

The visitors were on the back foot as Tranmere pilled the pressure on, backed by thousands of Rovers supporters. On two occasions, Jennings snatched possession away from FGR in the final third, but Tranmere were unable to capitalise on the situation.

The game came to a halt after Mark Ellis picked up an injury which required a stretcher to take him off the field of play. Fellow centre back Sid Nelson came on in his place for Tranmere.

Zoumana Bakayogo nearly scored one of the goals of the season. The full back, in for the injured Liam Ridehalgh, intercepted a pass on the edge of his own box, and ran the full length of the pitch with the ball, beating three Forest Green players for pace, but his effort was tame and wide.

Forest Green had a chance just before added time as full back Joseph Mills tried to replicate the run Bakayogo made earlier, but his shot was blocked from a Rovers defender.

Forest Green took the lead two minutes into the second half, a low ball was fired across the penalty box and Mondal rifled the ball into the top left hand corner.

The visitors nearly made it 2-0 in the 51st minute but substitute Dayle Grubb was denied by a fantastic save from Scott Davies at point blank range.

Jennings, who was looking a threat for Rovers, looked to find a way back in the game for TRFC, but his shot on the turn was easy collected by the goalkeeper.

Tranmere made their second change in the 55th minute, Paul Mullin, making his first appearance for Mellon’s team in three months, came on for Ben Pringle.

Jay Harris had a half chance for Tranmere but a wonderful save from Montgomery just a couple of minutes later denied Mullin an overhead kick goal. Harris came in on the follow up but he hit the side netting.

Tranmere continued to push as Jennings fired over the cross bar from the edge of the penalty box after a clever knock down by Norwood, but Forest Green continued to run the clock down whenever they had chance.

Despite Forest Green’s obvious attempts to slow the pace of the game down, Tranmere were keeping their cool and Prenton Park nearly erupted when Mullin hit the post with a fantastic free-kick from the edge of the penalty box.

The last change saw Chris Dagnall come on for Harris in the last roll of the dice for Tranmere. Mullin made a real impact as soon as he came on and he bent another shot just over the cross bar for the hosts

However, Tranmere were unable to find a way to break the visitors down and the game finished 1-0 to Forest Green Rovers. Next up is a trip to league leaders Lincoln City on Easter Monday, 3pm kick-off.

TRFC: Davies, Bakayogo, Monthe, Ellis (Nelson 27), Caprice, Morris, Banks, Harris (Dagnall 85), Pringle (Mullin 56), Jennings, Norwood. Unused subs: Pilling, Buxton, Smith, Gilmour.

 Attendance: 9,468 (170 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account