Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Burton 4-2 Tranmere

26 December 2019

Match Reports

Report: Burton 4-2 Tranmere

26 December 2019

Goals from Morgan Ferrier and Kieron Morris couldn’t prevent Tranmere falling to a 4-2 defeat at Burton Albion on Boxing Day.

Tranmere Rovers named the same team which beat AFC Wimbledon last Saturday for the Boxing Day trip to Burton Albion.

A phenomenal block in the first five minutes prevented Burton taking an early lead as defender Liam Ridehalgh put his body on the line to deny Oliver Sarkic.

However, Burton took the lead in the 12th minute as Fraser finished off a nice team move to put the hosts 1-0 up.

Rovers’ response was immediate and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy’s pace got him away from Burton’s defence, feeding the ball to Morris, the Rovers number 7 struck just wide.

Neil Danns collected another Hepburn-Murphy and on the turn, hit wide, as momentum started to build for the visitors.

Tranmere deservedly scored their equaliser in the 25th minute courtesy of Ferrier. A free kick on the half way line from Ridehalgh was picked up by Hepburn-Murphy. The Aston Villa loan man swung in a delightful cross for Danns to head against the post but Ferrier was on hand to strike home to send the away end delirious.

Goalkeeper Aaron Chapman made a good save from Liam Boyce after the Albion attacker made room inside the penalty area.

A couple of late chances fell to the hosts through Sarkic and Fraser but both men missed the target, with their efforts flying into the away end, housing the Rovers fans.

A swirling shot kicked off the second half from Boyce from the left hand side, but Peterborough loanee Chapman made a good save, tipping round the post.

Former Tranmere man Akins put Burton back ahead in the 50th minute as he escaped the attention of Jake Caprice to put the ball beyond Chapman.

A good header from Boyce produced a strong save from Chapman to deny Burton extended their lead just before the hour mark.

However, he wasn’t to be denied only a couple of minutes later as Boyce was left unmarked at the back post to tap home.

Tranmere clawed a goal back with 25 minutes to go as Morris scored one of his trademark long range strikes to make the score 3-2.

Tranmere continued to push for an equaliser and Morris showed great footwork to beat his man, finding space he got a shot away but it was pushed away by the goalkeeper.

Burton sealed the points as Boyce tucked home from close range with less than five minutes remaining.

Tranmere will now move onto Sunday’s match at home to Blackpool, 3pm kick-off at Prenton Park.

Tranmere: Chapman, Ridehalgh, Monthe, Nelson, Caprice, Jennings (Mullin 75), Perkins, Danns, Morris, Hepburn-Murphy, Ferrier. Unused subs: Pilling, Ray, Woods, Potter, Ponticelli, Payne.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account