Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Accrington Stanley

7 December 2019

Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Accrington Stanley

7 December 2019

Kieron Morris' volley secured Tranmere Rovers 1-1 draw against Accrington Stanley at Prenton Park in Sky Bet League One on Saturday afternoon.

Rovers were behind when Sean McConville struck from close-range 18 minutes into the clash before Scott Davies was forced off midway through the half, being replaced by Luke Pilling.

Morris pulled Tranmere level towards the end of the opening following Corey Blackett-Taylor’s cross, which earned a point.

Manager Micky Mellon made two changes to his starting line-up from last Sunday’s Emirates FA Cup victory over Chichester City, with Neil Danns and Connor Jennings coming in for Darren Potter and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy.

Accrington began on the front foot. Davies was kept busy early on, thwarting efforts from Sadou Diallo and Colby Bishop.

John Coleman’s visitors were in front when a corner from the right was not cleared, with midfielder McConville profiting from a scramble in the penalty area to prod past Davies into the bottom right-corner from a matter of yards.

Pushing for an equaliser as they attacked the Argyle Satellite Taxis Kop, Tranmere couldn’t find a route to goal, with Jennings striking wide, which Jake Caprice’s flighted pass aimed for Morgan Ferrier was scrambled to safety.

Just after the half-hour, captain Davies had to be substituted, going down immediately, holding his calf, having caught a cross from a corner.

Welsh youth international Pilling came on in his place to make his EFL debut for the Club.

Rovers’ leveller came when Blackett-Taylor’s cross from the right was met by Morris, who drove his left-footed volley into the bottom right-corner past Stanley goalkeeper Dimitar Evtimov.

Pilling was called into action shortly later, making an excellent double save as he got down low to his left to deny McConville, before blocking Harvey Rodgers’ follow up.

There was still time for Blackett-Taylor to have a shot on target, which was comfortable for Evtimov.

Early on after the restart, Mellon’s men were denied claims for a penalty kick after Blackett-Taylor burst into the box, turning his marker, and being pushed to the turf, but referee Tony Harrington waved home protests away.

Morris’ free-kick from 25-yards beat the wall, however, Evtimov was equal to the set-piece.

Up the other end, Dion Charles glanced over the crossbar and into the Argyle Satellite Taxis Kop from a left-sided free-kick.

On the hour, forward Ferrier thumped a powerful strike straight at Evtimov from the edge of the box after Danns’ headed pass to his feet.

Sid Nelson later floated a free-kick into the path of Manny Monthe, which was claimed by Stanley’s Bulgarian stopper.

With 10 minutes to play on a crisp Wirral afternoon, Jordan Clark beat Liam Ridehalgh down the left to break into the box. His cross looped over Pilling and kissed the crossbar prior to bouncing out of play.

Hepburn-Murphy was introduced in the closing stages, replacing Ferrier, but Rovers could not find the goal that they needed to turn one point into three.

Next up for TRFC is a visit to Lincoln City on Saturday 14th December.

TRFC: Davies © (Pilling 32) Caprice, Nelson, Monthe, Ridehalgh, Morris, (Woods 85) Perkins, Danns, Jennings, Blackett-Taylor, Ferrier

Subs not used: Potter, Maddox, Mullin, Payne

Attendance: 5,751

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account