Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 1-0 Notts County

23 February 2019

Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 1-0 Notts County

23 February 2019

A well taken goal from Connor Jennings secured a deserved victory against Notts County at Prenton Park.

TRFC’s number 11 struck midway through the second half to make it back to back league wins for Rovers and stretch the unbeaten run to four matches in front of more than 6,000 Tranmere supporters.

Tranmere named an unchanged team for the third game in a row, with the only alteration on the bench as Sid Nelson replaced Harvey Gilmour.

TRFC were playing with a real spring in their step after two wins and a draw in their last three matches. Tranmere had three attempts in the first 12 minutes, with David Perkins, Connor Jennings and Mark Ellis all having sight on goal, but none able to test County keeper Ryan Scholfield.

In the 17th minute, Rovers were denied a wonder goal by the opposition keeper, as deadly duo James Norwood and Jennings linked up. Norwood cleverly chested a Ben Pringle’s cross from the left for Jennings to volley from inside the box, which was palmed over the cross bar for a corner.

From the resulting corner, Jennings looped a header over the cross bar as Rovers were looking a real threat.

County, who were on a good run of form themselves, despite their loss at home to Newport County last Tuesday night, soon picked up the pace at Prenton Park and started to gain sight on Scott Davies’ goal.

Tranmere were nearly gifted an opener as defender Ben Barclay was saved his blushes by goalkeeper and team mate, Scholfield, miss hitting his clearance from Jake Caprice’s cross, destined to nestle in the bottom corner, the keeper pulled off a wonderful save to prevent a certain goal.

The intensity levels continued in the second half as both teams were roared on by two groups of vocal supporters. The first opportunity of the final 45 fell to the division’s leading marksmen, Norwood, heading into the grateful arms of the goalkeeper.

On the hour mark, Luke McCullough, after a solid display in the heart of the home midfield, was withdrawn, Ollie Banks coming on in his place.

Tranmere’s hard work finally paid off in the 68th minute as Jennings put Rovers into the lead. The goal came courtesy of Pringle picking up a loose ball in the midfield, racing through on goal and sliding a pass into the feet of Jennings to slot home in front of the Essar Kop Stand.

There was still plenty of work for Tranmere still to do as County were still looking a threat going forward, but captain and goalkeeper Davies was commanding his penalty area well with the aim to secure back to back clean sheets in the league on home soil.

Tranmere’s second change came in the 79th minute, Pringle, who grabbed the assist for Jennings goal, was replaced by fellow wide man, Jonny Smith.

The hosts were forced to make their third change in the 85th minute, Mark Ellis, after a commanding performance at centre half, came off with an injury after a collision with a visiting player, Sid Nelson on in his place.

Notts County sub Virgil Gomis came within a whisker of scoring an equaliser for the visitors, his half volley creeping wide of the post as he got in front of the TRFC backline.

Norwood had two late opportunities for Tranmere, coming close on both occasions, but Rovers held on to their one goal cushion to make it three wins in the last four matches.

TRFC: Davies, Caprice, Monthe, Ellis (Nelson 85) Bakayogo, Morris, McCullough (Banks 60), Perkins, Pringle (Smith 79), Norwood, Jennings. Unused subs: Pilling, Buxton, Nelson, Dagnall, Mullin.

Attendance: 6,559

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account