Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Carlisle 3-0 Tranmere

23 July 2019

Match Reports

Carlisle 3-0 Tranmere

23 July 2019

Goals from Kwane Thomas (2) and Lewis Bell resulted in a 3-0 loss for TRFC in their penulitmate pre-season friendly at Carlisle United.

Rovers hit the bar three times in the first half but couldn't find a break through in Cumbria and our final friendly will be against League Two Walsall at Prenton Park on Saturday. 

Tranmere made a strong start against the League Two outfit on a sun kissed evening at Brunton Park.

Passing the ball around with confidence, Rovers hit the bar in the fourth minute as Manny Monthe rifled an effort from inside the penalty area following a corner, with keeper Adam Collin left with no chance in the home goal.

Three minutes later, a nice passage of play from Rovers, donning the popular new away kit for the first time, resulted in Ollie Banks striking from 20 yards, with the former Rotherham shot stopper tapping the ball over the bar.

Harry McKirdy had the first opportunity for the hosts in the 12th minute, driving through the Rovers midfield but captain Scott Davies was equal.

Just after the quarter hour mark, TRFC hit the bar once again, this time Wembley hero Connor Jennings rattled the frame with a strike with the outside of his boot.

All Tranmere's hard work in the 20 minutes were undone when Thomas headed the hosts ahead against the run of play. The number 12 potentially looked in an offside position when he put the ball into the net, but the linesman let the goal stand.

The visitors' response was nearly instant, a 35-yard free-kick from Ollie Banks creeping just over. 

For the third time, Rovers hit the cross bar as they continued to control proceedings in Cumbria despite the home side's goal. Kieron Morris manoeuvred his way through the blue shirts from the right wing to crash a shot against the frame.

Carlisle doubled their lead, against the run of play once again, made it two nil. Thomas found space on the edge of the box and bent the ball beyond Davies.

Into the second half, and Rovers made changes with Stefan Payne, Jordan Ponticelli and a trialist all coming on for Rovers.

However, the hosts extended their lead further in the 67th minute as Lewis Bell raced through on goal to slot the ball underneath Davies.

George Ray headed wide from a free-kick from substitute Harvey Gilmour and earlier, Jennings deflected strike from 18 yards went wide of the right hand post.

The score finished 3-0 and now TRFC will turn their attention to Saturday's final pre-season match against Walsall, 3pm kick-off. 




Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account