Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere 0-2 Stoke

20 July 2019

Match Reports

Tranmere 0-2 Stoke

20 July 2019

Championship side Stoke City claimed a 2-0 win against TRFC in with second half goals from Tommy Smith and Danny Batth.

It was another important run out for Micky Mellon’s side against a team full of Premier League experience as we prepare for life back in League One.

Stoke City had the first chance of the game when wide man Sam Clucas found space down the right but his cross is well blocked by Darren Potter. The resulting corner was flicked wide of the mark by the former Swansea winger.

Stoke were putting on pressure but Tranmere demonstrated their own threat on England international Jack Butland’s goal on the quarter hour mark.

Striker Paul Mullin gave his marker the slip on the half way line, and he was dragged to the floor for a free-kick, 35-yards from goal on the left. Liam Ridehalgh whipped in a dangerous free-kick but Manny Monthe just couldn’t get on the end of the delivery to convert home.

The next opportunity fell to the Championship outfit, when Republic of Ireland winger James McClean struck wide of the post from the left hand side, no danger to Scott Davies.

At the other end, Ishmael Miller turned away from the Potters defence inside the penalty box, only to narrowly miss the target for the Prenton Park side.

Tranmere were limiting Stoke to long range opportunities, as last season’s League Two Golden Glove winner Scott Davies made a number of comfortable saves before the half time whistle. The best came in the 39th minute as he parried Benin Afobe’s curling effort away from goal.

Into the second half and Smith handed the visitors the lead with a thunderous strike from just inside the penalty box, giving Davies no chance.

Tranmere made a host of changes in the 62nd minute, as Wembley hero Connor Jennings, Harvey Gilmour, Calum Woods, Jordan Ponticelli and Stefan Payne all came on for Mullin, Miller, Kieron Morris, Ridehalgh and Darren Potter.

The visitors meanwhile changed their entire outfield squad with just Butland remaining in goal.

Goalkeeper Davies was replicating his excellent form from last season with a flurry of incredible saves as the score remained 1-0 to the Championship side, which boasted a number of players with vast experience in the Premier League.

However Stoke doubled their advantage with five minutes to go as Batth nodded home from a corner.

We now move onto our next pre-season friendly against Carlisle United at Brunton Park on Tuesday night, 7:30pm kick-off.

TRFC: Davies, Caprice, Nelson (Spellman 85), Monthe, Ridehalgh (Woods 62), Morris (Jennings 62), Potter (Gilmour 62), Banks, Perkins, Miller (Payne 62), Mullin (Ponticelli 62)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account