Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere 0-0 Walsall

27 July 2019

Match Reports

Tranmere 0-0 Walsall

27 July 2019

Tranmere Rovers’ final pre-season friendly of the summer saw them held to a 0-0 draw against Walsall at a rain soaked Prenton Park on Saturday afternoon.

Micky Mellon’s men gained another valuable run out as preparations continue for the Sky Bet League One season which begins at home to Rochdale next Saturday.

Liam Kinsella had the first opening of the game after 11 minutes, receiving a pass from the edge of the penalty area but the Saddlers man saw his dipping attempt pushed away by Rovers captain Scott Davies.

Ollie Banks later had a sight of goal for Tranmere, manoeuvring his way beyond Walsall defenders to curl his rising effort right-footed which went just over the crossbar.

Connor Jennings also had a go from range however the Wembley Stadium hero could only shoot off target.

Following a brief pause in play as the ground staff cleared surface water from the pitch, Stefan Payne beat the offside trap to drive his right-footed shot which was met by a smart save by goalkeeper Liam Roberts down to his left.

Up the other end, Shay Facey’s cross into the penalty area from the left was knocked down by Morgan Ferrier to the feet of Josh Gordon, who trickled his shot wide of Davies’ far post when well positioned six-yards out.

With 41 minutes on the clock it was turn of central midfielder Harvey Gilmour to try his luck for TRFC, striking powerfully from 25-yards but the ball went narrowly over Roberts’ upright.

After the break, midfielder Kieron Morris, playing against his former club, had a shot charged down for Tranmere while Gordon volleyed into the turf and over Davies’ crossbar for Darrell Clarke’s visitors from the Midlands on the hour.

The Sky Bet League Two outfit then threatened again on 68 minutes as Jon Guthrie’s floated cross from the right was met by the head of substitute Cameron Norman who glanced straight into Davies’ grasp.

Going in search of a winner, Mellon brought on Paul Mullin, Ishmael Miller, Darren Potter and Jordan Ponticelli in place of Gilmour, Payne, David Perkins and Jennings.

In the closing 10 minutes of the fixture, substitute Miller headed wide from Morris’ whipped corner from the right.

It remained goalless until the final whistle as Rovers ended pre-season with a stalemate.

Next up for Tranmere is the opening weekend of the Sky Bet League One campaign as Mellon’s men return to the third-tier by hosting Rochdale at Prenton Park next Saturday, 3pm kick-off. Tickets can be purchased by CLICKING HERE.

TRFC: Davies, Caprice, (Nelson 54 ) Ray, Monthe, Ridehalgh, Morris, Gilmour, (Mullin 67) Perkins, (Potter 67) Banks, Jennings, (Ponticelli 72) Payne (Miller 67)

Unused subs: Pilling, Spellman, Walker-Rice

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account