Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere 0-6 Liverpool

11 July 2019

Match Reports

Tranmere 0-6 Liverpool

11 July 2019

Tranmere Rovers were beaten in their first pre-season friendly of the summer at Prenton Park by UEFA Champions League winners Liverpool on Thursday evening.

Rhian Brewster’s double after Nathanial Clyne’s opener had Liverpool 3-0 up at half-time.

Substitute Curtis Jones notched the visitors’ fourth eight minutes after half-time when he swept in Ben Woodburn’s cross at the back post.

Quick-fire strikes from Divock Origi and Bobby Duncan added to the scoreline on the Wirral.

New permanent signings George Ray, Kieron Morris and Corey Blackett-Taylor all started for Micky Mellon’s men.

Liverpool led with six minutes played after Brewster’s weighted pass found full-back Nathanial Clyne in space on the right-side of the penalty area, who powered the ball beyond goalkeeper Scott Davies which found the top corner.

In response, Rovers forward Paul Mullin danced his way into a good position beyond Nathanial Phillips but saw his shot from inside the box charged down by Joe Gomez.

Midfielder Blackett-Taylor then drew Reds goalkeeper Simon Mignolet into a low stop down to his right with a low effort from 20-yards which was comfortable for the Belgian.

Jurgen Klopp’s side doubled their lead on 38 minutes when he headed home Harry Wilson’s cross from the right past Davies from six-yards.

Brewster notched his second goal on the stroke of half-time when he followed in from Davies’ low save by tapping into an empty net.

At the break, Mellon made the changes as Calum Woods, Sid Nelson, Harvey Gilmour, Darren Potter, Jordan Ponticelli, Stefan Payne and Ishmael Miller all coming on for Rovers in the second half.

The European champions’ fourth goal came when two substitutes combined as Woodburn’s flighted pass from the right was met by Jones at the back-post, who beat Davies with 53 minutes played.

Up the other end, TRFC forward Ishmael Miller utilised his strength to hold off defenders but he could only shoot low into the grasp of teenage goalkeeper Vitezslav Jaros after finding space on the edge of the area.

Substitute Origi found Liverpool’s fifth goal on the hour, racing onto Joel Matip’s lofted ball to round the on-rushing Davies in the box to convert.

A sixth goal was netted by forward Duncan, who, 10-yards from goal, thumped his low strike past Davies which found the bottom left-corner.

Tranmere midfielder Danny Walker-Rice then thought he had pulled a goal back for Rovers after 70 minutes, but having finished well low into the far corner, referee Mike Dean disallowed the goal.

Davies was called into action in the closing stages when he made a fine sprawling stop to thwart Origi, who had burst through one-on-one.

A young TRFC squad will head to Non-League Radcliffe on Saturday afternoon before returning to Prenton Park a week on Saturday to face Sky Bet Championship outfit Stoke City, 3pm kick-off.

TRFC: Davies, Ridehalgh (Woods 45) Ray (Nelson 45) Monthe, (Spellman 84) Caprice, Morris (Gilmour 45) Perkins (Potter 45) Blackett-Taylor (Walker-Rice 65) Banks, (Ponticelli 45) Jennings (Payne 45) Mullin (Miller 45)

Subs: Pilling, Thompson

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account