Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Exeter 0-1 Tranmere

2 March 2019

Match Reports

Report: Exeter 0-1 Tranmere

2 March 2019

Striker James Norwood returned to haunt his former team Exeter City by scoring the only goal in a terrific 1-0 win for Tranmere Rovers.

The win was Tranmere’s third on the spin, as Norwood struck in the first half and became the Club’s eighth leading ever goal scorer, tying Ronnie Moore, with his 25th of the campaign.

Tranmere defended resolutely all match, and a world class save from Scott Davies in stoppage time from an Exeter header ensured Rovers secured all three points.

Manager Micky Mellon made one change from the win against Notts County, Jonny Smith replacing the injured Kieron Morris.

In the fifth minute, Tranmere were so unfortunate not to take the lead, when we had four successful shots on goal, all blocked by Exeter defenders, the final opportunity falling to Connor Jennings who played a cross across the penalty box looking for a TRFC player to prod home.

Tranmere were showing confidence in possession against the promotion chasing Grecians, and Luke McCullough came within a whisker of his first goal for the Club, directing a header just wide from a Smith corner.

Tranmere mastered their game plan perfectly for the first half an hour, and deservedly took the lead but the goal came with a slight bit of luck. An excellent pass from former Exeter man Mark Ellis, found another former Exeter player, Norwood, who took the ball first time and shot, with the ball deflecting off the defender and sneaking past goalkeeper Christy Pym.

Tranmere were buoyant from their goal, and winger Smith tried his luck from the edge of the penalty box and was only a couple of inches away from making it 2-0 to the visitors.

At the back, Tranmere were looking strong, as Ellis and Manny Monthe were in full control, whilst Scott Davies commanding his penalty box with experience.

The second half began with TRFC defending the goal in front of the SWA, and the defence was working valiantly as Exeter cranked up the pressure.

The travelling 405 Tranmere supporters stayed with their team throughout and were vocal from The Marsh Kia St James Road Stand.

Tranmere’s first change came in the 67th minute, as Smith, after a tireless performance on the flank, came off for October’s EFL Young Player of the Month, Harvey Gilmour.

A clever routine corner nearly got Exeter back on level terms, as former Preston North End man Lee Holmes crashed a left footed shot into Davies’ side netting.

Substitute Jonathan Forte was next to have a go for the hosts, connecting with Holmes’ right-hand side cross to loop a header over the frame of the bar.

A fabulous save from Davies with seven minutes to go prevented a City equaliser, as Forte swivelled on the ball in the penalty box from a corner, but Davies was on hand to push away.

Davies topped his first save with an even better one in added time, pushing away a close range header which was destined to nestle in the far corner.

Exeter had two great opportunities after this but their efforts were off target as Rovers claimed a deserved three points before back to back league games at Prenton Park against Crewe Alexandra and Grimsby Town.

Davies, Caprice, Ellis, Monthe, Bakayogo, Smith (Gilmour 67), McCullough, Perkins, Pringle, Jennings, Norwood. Unused subs: Pilling, Buxton, Banks, Dagnall, Mullin, Nelson.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account